1. Default Minneapolis to San Diego

We drove from Minneapolis to San Diego via Denver and Las Vegas last year. We are driving to San Diego again this year and would like to incorporate the Grand Canyon this time.

Doe anyone have any recomendations on a route and/or the "best" place to spend a day at the Grand Canyon?

South of England.

Default No "best"

Hello and welcome to the R.T.A. forums.

The National park areas offer two options, the North rim and the South rim. People normally decide on whether they want a less crowded [more remote] experience which is the North rim or one with more visitor friendly facilities but busier such as the South rim.
    Both are an option on your route so the parks site may help you decide.

Another factor will be the time you have for your journey and what [if anything] else you might want to see on route. For the South rim you could head south on the 191 past Arches NP/Moab and drive through Monument valley on the 163 to 160/89/64 into the East entrance of GC South. This takes you along the Desert view drive with many viewpoints and into the village area. You can exit the park at the Southern gate to I-40.

For the North rim you could either take the 89 south from I-70 and possibly visit Zion NP on the way to I-15 or come off I-70 earlier and head to Hanksville on the 24 and then scenic byway 12 from Torrey past Bryce canyon. Either way you could visit both Zion and Bryce, again it's the time factor.

I would try my best to witness a sunset or sunrise at the GC !