1. Default 14 day road trip - western states

Hello,

I want to explore the western states starting from Las Vegas since the flights to LV are less expensive than other cities and rental cars are less expensive too (starting at $25 day vs. $40 in other cities).

This road trip also serves the purpose of deciding where I might want to move to in the near future because PA is too cold and boring for me.

I only want to spend one night in Las Vegas and I might spend another night there at the end of my road trip. Iíd like to see the Grand Canyon, Denver & Boulder CO, from there go up north and make my way through Montana to Seattle, Portland, down to SF, LA and back to LV.
    Thatís less than 4000 miles, it should be doable. I will be traveling by myself and I plan on staying in Hostels where possible. My budget is about $2000-$2500, $700 of that goes towards the flight and rental car.

Any suggestions or comments are welcome. Are there any sights that are must see besides of what I have listed?
    What is the speed limit out there? Here in PA you can drive like an idiot and the chance of getting pulled over is slim because so many do it.

Thanks!
    Michael

Default Your Other Purpose

Welcome aboard the RoadTrip America Forums!

If you really intend to use this as a scouting trip for a possible move, then you may be biting off a bit more than is useful. A quick drive-by of a few cities is not going to give you a good feel for whether you can set up a good, enjoyable life there. But by trying to cover 4,000 miles or more in just two weeks, and see some of the natural wonders, and check out potential homes, you may be spreading yourself too thin. I can't see where you'd be able to give even a day to 4 possible locations. So if that is in fact one of your goals, maybe you should try to be a bit more targeted on real possibilities.

Speed limits in the west tend to be a bit higher than you're used to, and people will bend the rules as a rule, but keep in mind that there are fewer targets for the cops to focus on and the sight lines are quite long and unobstructed.

AZBuck

Speed limits out west vary from 65 to 75 on Interstates and 55 to 65 on other roads. I live on cruise control at 4 over.

4. Default

Quote Originally Posted by michael79 View Post
    I want to explore the western states starting from Las Vegas since the flights to LV are less expensive than other cities and rental cars are less expensive too (starting at $25 day vs. $40 in other cities).
    Check those rental car prices carefully. Vegas tacks on some HUGE taxes that really increase the cost of the car.