Default i know you've seen similar threads but these Aussie honeymooners need your help!!

Hey everyone!!! Thanks for clicking on!

My fiance and I are COMING TO AMERICA THIS SUMMER!!! We are so so excited (as you can see) we've booked our flight to LA, an RV for 30 days- but we have NO IDEA what to do with it!!

Here's what we have so far:
    Start in LA mid June end up in Orlando, Florida 30 days later.
    We want to spend a couple of days in california visiting beaches, san diego, hollywood, orange county etc and heading up to San Francisco
    We're hanging to see LAS VEGAS!!!!!
    And NEW YORK NEW YORK is definitely on the list!

....But that's it!

We're leaving our 30 day romantic fun filled adventure in your capable hands with all advice, tips and any ideas from routes, dining, RV parks, breathtaking views or culture rich experiences, VERY greatly appreciated and needed!!

Thankyou so much in advance!

I can't wait to start planning!!

Tali =)

Default Use the Time You Have Well

Welcome aboard the RoadTrip America Forums!

Thirty days is actually quite a bit of time to travel about the U.S., but it's not all the time in the world. If you rush everything or try to fit in all that there is to see and do, you're going to end up feeling as though all you had was a bunch of snacks rather than a few good satisfying meals. So my main bit of advice is that you curb your enthusiasm a bit and concentrate on maybe fewer places, and spending a bit of time at those rather than rushing from place to place.

For example "a couple of days in California" is about enough time to get over your jet lag, get used to driving on the other side of the road, and make the drive to San Francisco, let alone anything else you've listed. A more realistic plan would be to do nothing but pick up your RV and find a place to spend the night on the first day, take some tours of Los Angeles on the second day, take two days to drive up the Big Sur coast on CA-1 to San Francisco, a day to take some tours of San Francisco and then two days to get to Las Vegas by driving through Yosemite and Death Valley. So that's 7 days where you had 2 or 3. But at that pace (or even slower) you get to see and experience stuff rather than just driving by.

With that kind of pacing in mind, I'll just list some of the places that I think you should see on your way. You should get out a good map of the U.S. to plot out the main routes between places, and then get even larger scale maps (in an atlas, for example) and look for scenic roads and smaller, but still interesting venues near your basic line of march, So (while others may disagree) after Las Vegas: the Grand Canyon, Monument Valley, Arches National Park, Salt Lake City, Yellowstone, Rocky Mountain National Park, St. Louis, Chicago/Indiana Dunes, New York, Washington, the Blue Ridge Parkway, Charleston, Savannah, Cumberland Island, Kennedy Space Center. As I say, there are plenty of other places to see in between, but those stops outline what I think would make a great trip.

One last thing. You seem to want to see cities having listed them mostly in your list. Depending on its size, your RV may be difficult to handle in such close quarters. If you've got a smaller van-type unit then you should be OK, but if you've got a full-up motor home, then I'd strongly suggest parking it outside any city you plan to visit and take commuter rail or subway into the city and then use local public transportation (subways/buses/cabs/commercial tours) to get around to individual places within the city.

AZBuck

Default shorter than you think

Welcome to the RTA Forum!

While 30 days is certainly a nice amount of time to have, when you think about just how big the US is, I suspect you won't have as much time as you might think.

The things you've listed that you want to do in California alone would easily take a week, and even then you could feel rushed. You need at least a week to drive from California to New York in an RV, and then a few more days to drive back south to Florida. Throw in some time at the places you've listed, and stopping at a few things as you drive across the country, and you won't have a ton of time to linger.

I'm also wondering if an RV even is the right choice for you. Most of the places you're talking about going are urban areas, where it going to be a little tricky trying to get around while driving a big rv, and even more difficult to find places to park. If cities are your main goal, spending your nights at hotels and renting a regular sedan would probably be a better bet.

Regardless of how you go, there will be millions of things that you could see. I'd really just recommend starting by getting out a map and get a feel for where you'll be traveling and what you could be driving by. That should put you in a better position to move forward with your planning.

Quote Originally Posted by Midwest Michael View Post
    Regardless of how you go, there will be millions of things that you could see. I'd really just recommend starting by getting out a map and get a feel for where you'll be traveling and what you could be driving by. That should put you in a better position to move forward with your planning.
    Just as Michael says, get some good maps, not easy to find in Oz. Here is something I recommend. Get yourself a road atlas of the USA, which will show you all the scenic routes and has detailed maps of all States.

I bought this one, and found that even with postage and currency conversion, it was cheaper than what I could buy it in Melbourne.

As you start to pin point your trip, you can then check on the internet, places along that route for accommodation, sights, eating places, etc.

At the end of each day's driving, I would sit down and with a hiliter mark all the roads on which I had travelled that day. This not only helped me to see things more clearly, but has turned out to be a lasting souvenir of where my travels have taken me.

Lifey in Melbourne

Default Valuable Information

Wow thanks guys! what quick responses!

AZBuck you're right, when we first planned the trip we thought 30 days would be plenty, but as we began our research we've realized we really need a thorough plan so we don't end up rushing through and wondering where the month went.

Our RV is 30ft Michael- do you think it'd be a problem finding RV parks to stay at along our way? And yes, looks like mapping is probably our safest bet- i've started now so thanks for that.

I've just had a look at the atlas you've recommended Lifey, thanks alot- it's now on our list!

Quote Originally Posted by Tali View Post
    I've just had a look at the atlas you've recommended Lifey, thanks alot- it's now on our list!
    If you order it today.... you will have it in probably less than two or three weeks (Sometimes I have had things arrive in 10 days)... most likely well before you leave. And remember, in the Northern Hemisphere they do not have a four or five day break for Easter.

It really is a great help for us down here, where USA maps are few and far between.

Default not what I'm talking about.

When I said that it would be difficult to find a place to park the RV, I wasn't talking about RV parks to spend the night. RV parks are relatively plentiful, and you shouldn't have much difficultly finding a place to camp that's a reasonable drive from a city.

What I'm talking about is places to park while you explore the various cities you want to visit. The US generally speaking, does not have good mass-transit so you'll still need a way to get from your campsite to the cities and attractions you want to see. Finding parking for an RV in a situation like this could be quite difficult and expensive. That's one of the reason why if the majority of your trip is based on visiting cities, an RV might not be the best choice for your trip.