1. Default Advice for 2 week road trip please

We're going to be doing a road trip from Friday for 2.5 weeks. We fly in and out of San Francisco, and have booked five nights in San Francisco at the end. We would like to go to the Grand Canyon and drive up the West Coast, hopefully in a nice loop. Needless to say we're ecstatically excited!

We arrive in SF mid afternoon and have decided we would like to leave straight away because we want to get going as soon as possible (and not get stuck in SF which we're certain we're going to love!), and were thinking we'd like to go somewhere only an hour or so out from SF Airport as we're going to be tired due to time differences. Can anyone recommend somewhere interesting we should go, baring in mind we've never even visited the US before?

Does anyone have any suggestions for how we should use our 2 week road trip and routes we should take? We aren't that bothered about Las Vegas.

Is there anything we should know about hiring cars, and any recommendations for hire companies?

We all love live music, especially folk music, so does any one have any recommendations to see some great stuff?

Would be amazing if we could get some advice. Thanks so much.

Joplin MO

Arriving in mid-afternoon is already too late to avoid the traffic. It's going to take time getting through customs/immigration and picking up the rental car.

What you could try to do - and I'd let this be dependent on how much daylight is left - is head over to someplace like Half Moon Bay for the night. It's only about 20 miles from SFO, but you have to go over the coastal mountains on a narrow, winding 2 lane road (CA-92). There are plenty of hotels in the area, not particularly cheap though.

This would position you to take the trip down the coast road (CA-1) through Monterey down to the LA area. From there you could head over to the Grand Canyon and work your way back to SF through southern Utah, Las Vegas, Death Valley, Yosemite, etc.

Green County, Wisconsin

Default details

Welcome to the RTA Forum!

You've left out a few details of your trip that would be helpful to know.

First where are you coming from? I certainly agree that you shouldn't try to get too far on that first day and if you a mid-afternoon arrival is going to have you dealing with traffic, especially on a Friday. Also, if you are going to have to get used to driving on the other side of the road, that's something you should also take into account.

You also didn't say what direction you want to go to start your trip. Are you thinking of starting by traveling down the coast, or may be you want to head towards Yosemite, or maybe Napa to start your trip. There are no bad options, but that's the kind of thing you need to figure out.

I might consider starting out simply by staying at a hotel near the San Francisco airport. You're a ways outside the city at that point, at it would allow you to decompress after your flight and adapt to the time change, without having to add on the stress of getting comfortable driving in the US during a Friday rush hour in the bay area.

South of England.

Default Grab some ideas.

I presume it's a long flight as you mention time difference and I am in agreement with the other posters regarding trying to get to far. You could consider an airport hotel for the night which many have a free shuttle bus to and from the airport. Very handy when arriving tired with your luggage. We have used the Best Western Grosvenor which we thought was good value for money and included a nice breakfast.

For car rental I would compare whats on offer using the Internet typing in 'San Fran car rental' and see if there are any special offers up for grabs.

A popular road trip would include the Pacific coast highway, LA, Grand canyon, Vegas, Death valley, Sequoia and Yosemite and would all be possible.

Have a look at these threads relating to the West coast and you can use the search button for many more.

When you have done a little research and found things of interest to you we can help piece it together with you.

South Central Orange County

Default Other interests?

That looks like it will be a great trip! Ah, to have 2 1/2 weeks of freedom!

Do you have any other interests in addition to live music (esp. folk music)?

I am a history & photography freak, so my trips include old buildings & other historic sites, National Parks, and other scenic places. If I were to give you my preferred route you might find it the most boring plan you'd ever read.

I'm afraid I can't help you with folk music must-see places, but if I learn more of your interests I may be able to help in other ways.