1. Default Going to Canada in October

Hello all! Me & 2 of my friends are going to Alberta, Canada at the end of October. It's 1,994 miles.

I have a few questions.
    About how many hours should a person drive each day?
    The car gets about 23 MPG, how much money should we bring for gas?
    How much money should we bring (splitting it 3 ways) if we're going to stay there for 5 days?

I don't know much about road trips, this is going to be my first.

Also, if anyone knows anything else I should know, feel free to tell me :)

Green County, Wisconsin

Default thinking larger

Welcome to the RTA forum!

First of all, do you have your passports yet? Starting in June, you'll need a passport to drive across the Canadian border, so if you don't have that done yet, it should be your first step.

One of the things I would recommend is that when you are thinking about how long you should drive, don't think in terms of per person. Even if you are not driving, simply sitting in a car for a long period of time is fairly draining. For example, One person might be able to drive solo for 8 hours without too many problems, but that doesn't mean that with 3 people you could drive for 24 hours. Generally, we recommend keeping your long driving days in the 500-600 mile range. That puts you on the road for 8-10 hours and gives you a little bit of time for some quick siteseeing.

As far as budgeting goes, that depends upon a lot of factors about how you like to travel, where you'll sleep and eat, what you'll do for fun, etc. There is the fuel cost calculator on the left side of the page, and lots of other articles and posts with information to help you get started on your planning process. I think if you look around a bit, you'll find quite a bit of help to get trip moving forward.