1. Default Two months for roadtrip quest throughout WA, OR, CA, AZ, CO, OK, MT -Advice please!

I am a 23 year old adventuralist female who loves to travel and see the world. I have taken a few road trips in my time, but would really love to plan this one out accordingly. I am very spontaneous, love the outdoors and scenery. I would love to get advice on the best routes to take, must-see sights, or anything of help on my road trip this summer. I will be going solo, it is a mixture between a quest and a jaunt type trip, while visiting friends and family in between.

The places that I will be going/staying are as follows: (I do not mind going off the beaten path if it means a great drive/route, hike, scenery, or new adventure and keep in mind that I would not mind stopping in places in between because I am fairly flexible with time.)

Leave from Spokane, WA on May 5th 2009 in order to go to the following places:
    Bellingham, WA
    Seattle, WA
    Portland, OR
    Seaside, OR
    Sacremento, CA
    San Francisco, CA
    San Luis Obismo, CA
    Santa Barbara, CA
    Los Angeles, CA
    San Diego, CA
    Phoenix, AZ
    SOMEWHERE IN TEXAS..maybe Austin if there is time??
    Tulsa, OK
    Denver, CO
    Bozeman, MT then back to Spokane around June 20th!

I am also looking for a little serenity during the trip doesn't always have to be an adventure..

Any advice will do! Thank you very much!!

Default Some ideas

Hello Justine,

Although I've never been there, I've read about the Big Bend part of West Texas. The towns of Alpine, Marfa, and Terlingula sound like fun places to visit.

Up in MT, you owe it to yourself to travel the Beartooth Highway between Red Lodge and Yellowstone NP. The highway climbs to over 10,000' and it's just a breathtaking scene.

I'd also heartily recommend the southwest corner of MT, specifically the Big Hole. The Big Hole Valley floor is around 6,500' elevation, some 15-20 miles wide, and around 60 miles north to south. The snowcapped Bitterroots are on the west side and the forested Pioneer Range are to the east. The itty-bitty village of Jackson is near the southern end of the Big Hole and is the location of a nice hot spring/hotel/campground/restaurant. Late July/early August is haying time and the valley then displays it's moniker "Land of 10,000 Haystacks", so named because of the unique "Beaverslide" method of stacking fresh-cut hay. Traveling from Bozeman back towards Seattle I'd cut through Ennis and Dillon, MT, visit the authentic ghost town of Bannack, and spend some time in and around the Big Hole, visiting Lemhi Pass, Elkhorn Hot Springs, Jackson Hot Springs, Comet Mountain, the Coolidge ghost town, the Pioneer Range Scenic Parkway, and the Big Hole National Battlefield. I'd then take US 93 back up to Missoula and spend some time in a downtown motel, where I'd stroll along the Clark Fork River, hang out at Stockman's Bar and Cafe, and finish each evening with a midnight breakfast at The Oxford, which never closes (they don't even have locks on the doors).

Sounds like a great two months you're planning. Enjoy!

3. Default

Go see Big Bend National Park, and then for serenity, go on US-90 east towards Del Rio along the Rio Grande. Very nice drive. Then, if you want, cut up northeast from San Antonio to Austin.

Melbourne, Australia

Quote Originally Posted by JCAdventuralist View Post
    ...... must-see sights, or anything of help on my road trip this summer.
    You might consider a small detour on your way to Sacramento to see Old Faithful of California at Calistoga. A little known gem.

5. Default Thank you

Thank you all for your responses so far. I will definetely be researching and checking out some of the places mentioned..everything helps!