Default Vegas - Yosemite - San Francisco - La. Advice Please

First of all, I have been looking at a lot of the other threads and sections of the website. Everyone seems to get such good advice and as I am new to US road trips I want as much as possible.

Three friends and I are meeting up in Las Vegas around the 4th of June 09 (all from the UK aged 26-27).

Our plan is to spend a few days in Vegas, then hire a car and visit Grand Canyon, then travel up thru Death Valley to Yosemite then on to San Francisco. Two of the group will leave from there (around the 12th) and two of us will travel down the coast through Monterey, Big Sur etc before leaving La on 21st June 09.

Does that sound like a good plan? are there any obvous flaws?
    Then does anyone reccomended any specific routes/accomodation/sites of interest. We would like to camp as much as possible and the more beautiful the scenery the better.

I understand I am asking a lot but I want to get the most out of our trip and with such a great resource on offer - why not use it.

Cheers in advance

South of England.

Default Popular choice.

Hi Colin, welcome to the R.T.A. forums.

Your plan sounds good and is a very popular choice with road trippers, and for good reason, the scenery is not only amazing but so diverse as well.

A few days in Vegas from the 4th and some people leaving from SF on the 12th is a little vague, but if you wanted to leave Vegas on the 6th and be in SF by the 10th you would have a relaxed pace to see those things you have listed.

That would give you 2 nights, [an afternoon and a full day] at or near to GC, a night in Death valley and 2 nights in or near to Yosemite which is the time I would recommend in each place on a tight time scale.

If you wish to camp in outstanding scenery then you can't beat the National parks for location and surroundings. You can find all the info on there website but you would need to book asap to guarantee a spot.

The Tioga pass into Yosemite [the 120 from 395] can still be closed this time of year and that would mean having to go around the Southern edge of the Sierra's but the chances of it being open are greater so make sure you check it out.