1. Default HELP! Portland, Maine to Portland, Oregon

My husband and I are moving to Portland, Oregon from Portland, Maine. We are in the very early stages of planning our roadtrip out there. We are interested in the Trans Canadian Highway and any help or information you could offer would be greatly appreciated.

Green County, Wisconsin

Default moving target

Welcome to the RTA Forum!

The Trans-Canada highway could be an interesting way to take this trip, however because you are moving, there could be some challenges.

The two big question, will you be moving your possessions yourself and how much time do you have for the trip?

If you are moving yourself, you could face some extra questions while trying to cross the border. Basically, people looking to illegally immigrate are among the top things that border agents are looking for. If you've got all of your possessions, you're really going to look like someone who could be moving to Canada without a visa. At the very least, you'll need to bring some proof that you've got a new home and job in Oregon that will bring you back to the US, and be prepared to spend some extra time getting across the border.

You also need to know that the Trans-Canada is a much slower highway than the US interstate system. Much of the route is 2 lanes with a 90km (55mph) speed limit. You'd be looking at 5-6 days to cover this trip quickly via the interstates, I think you'd need at least 7-8 days to make this trip via Canada.

3. Default

Thank you Midwest Michael.

It never occured to me that we might look like we could be illegally relocating. I really appreciate all your advice this is exactly the type of information that we should know about before our journey.