Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Default Trip ideas for San Fran to San Antonio in 5 days

Three of us are driving from San Francisco, CA to San Antonio, Tx in 5 days.
    We will be taking this trip in a couple of weeks.

Does anybody have a roadtrip route that lets us see the Grand Canyon and other unique cities going from San Francisco to San Antonio Tx?

Any ideas would be great.
    Thanks

Default Fancy a Wig Wam ?

Hello and welcome to the R.T.A forums !

Going from SF to GC and then onto San Antonio is a little over 1900 miles and we generally recommended 500-550 miles a day which puts you on the road for 9-10 hours a day with short stops, so with a full day at the Grand Canyon your 4 remaining days will be quite full. If you get a good start on your first day and get between Barstow and Kingman your first night your second could be spent at GC.
    To get the best from your time at GC enter by the Southern entrance from Williams and leave by the East entrance to the 89 and down to Flagstaff. This takes you along Desert view drive with good view points of the canyon and be sure to stop at the old watch tower before exiting the park.

Flagstaff would be an option for lodging or if you fancy something a little different how about a Wig Wam in Holbrook near to the Petrified forest.
    That would leave you about 980 miles to cover in your next 2 days with Roswell or Carlsbad [caverns] being somewhere in between the two.

Have a great trip !
    Last edited by Southwest Dave; 03-30-2009 at 03:11 PM. Reason: info

3. Default Thanks for the suggestion

Thanks for the suggestions, which highways would we be driving to hit the areas you suggested?

KC

It's 800 miles from SF to the GC south rim. Take whatever is best for you to get to I-5, and take that to CA-58. Take that through Bakersfield, and it gets you to I-40 at Barstow. Take I-40 to Williams and take AZ-64 to the park.

Leaving the park's east entrance on AZ-64, take that to US-89, and take that to Flagstaff. Get on I-40 and go through Albuquerque. Get off on US-285 and take that through Roswell. At Fort Stockton, get on I-10 to SA.

It will take you 1.5 days to get to the GC, and then another 2.5 days to SA. This gives you about a day to see the GC, and anything else you may want to see enroute.

5. Default thanks again

Thanks for the all the info.

We plan on going the route you've recommended but also stopping at the Wigwam in Holbrook and staying the night there.

KC

That is on the route. It will take you about 3.5 hours from the GC to Holbrook. Figure 2 full days from Holbrook to SA. Carlsbad, NM is a good place to spend the night.

I can recommend the Cameron trading post on US-89 just north of the AZ-64 junction for a lunch and souvenir stop. They are known for their Navaho tacos.

Default Enjoy.

Quote Originally Posted by kcwscorpio View Post
    Thanks for the all the info.

We plan on going the route you've recommended but also stopping at the Wigwam in Holbrook and staying the night there.

KC
    Your welcome !

The Wig Wam does look fun and we'd like it if you were to pop back in and let us know how your trip turned out. [We like pic's as well] ;-)

Have a great trip.

[And if you have time I agree with glc's recommendation for the Cameron trading post.

8. Default Thanks again

We are planning on stopping at the Cameron trading post.
    Unfortunately the wigwam is booked the day we plan on getting there but we are definitely stopping to take some pictures and I will post here.

Any other suggestions of places to stay near the Holbrook area?

KC

Yes, the Motel 6 is one of the best ones I've ever stayed in and the rates are very reasonable. Your room key gets you a 10% discount at Denny's next door. Wifi is free and it's a big one with over 100 rooms. It's east of town out by the airport.

10. Default motel 6 is reasonable

Wow I was surprised how reasonable the Motel 6 is.

We just had one more question, for the Grand Canyon, do you think a bus tour is the best way or just use the shuttles? We keep reading about how crowded it is to get into the park so we weren't sure the best way to see the GC in a day.