Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Default Road Trip - Vancouver, Seattle, LA, San Francisco and Vegas.

Me and a couple friends are doing a road trip. We are starting from Vancouver, going to Seattle, Portland, San Francisco, Los Angeles, Las Vegas, Phoenix and Utah. Basically I would like to know if anyone could recommend me some good, but relatively cheap hotels in each of these areas?

I would also like to know if anyone has drove between these places? so i have an idea when we are driving of how long it will take to get to each place.

Thanks!

Do you want fast, point to point times on Interstate highways, or do you want scenic recommendations? Exactly where in Utah? How many days do you have for this trip including the return to Vancouver? What is your definition of a "good" hotel and what is your definition of "cheap"? Are you all 21 or older? What do you want to do and see besides visiting those listed cities? How much time do you want to spend in each of those cities?

Open up Google Maps and plan out a trip. Add 20% to their estimated times to allow for traffic and construction delays, fuel stops, food stops, and restroom stops. Once you have a better idea of what you want to do, we can help you with the details.

As an example, bring up maps.google.com, click on Directions and type in San Francisco and Los Angeles. It will show you the quick and boring direct route down I5.

For a much more interesting trip, drag that purple line all the way over to the coast. Drive down the Big Sur Coast Highway and take a couple of days to enjoy the trip.

4. Default

Quote Originally Posted by glc View Post
    Do you want fast, point to point times on Interstate highways, or do you want scenic recommendations? Exactly where in Utah? How many days do you have for this trip including the return to Vancouver? What is your definition of a "good" hotel and what is your definition of "cheap"? Are you all 21 or older? What do you want to do and see besides visiting those listed cities? How much time do you want to spend in each of those cities?

Open up Google Maps and plan out a trip. Add 20% to their estimated times to allow for traffic and construction delays, fuel stops, food stops, and restroom stops. Once you have a better idea of what you want to do, we can help you with the details.
    i think fast point to point times from Vancouver down to Portland, but then I have heard the roads are nice when you get down to LA and San Francisco?

we have 32 days. so we don't really have the longest time ever, i guess direct roads would be better so we can have longer seeing the actual places.

would this be enough days do you think? we are not 21 so we won't be drinking or going to clubs. we want to stay in relatively cheap places (that are in good locations) nowhere really bad, but nowhere really nice. :)

Quote Originally Posted by swagger View Post
    we are not 21 so we won't be drinking or going to clubs. we want to stay in relatively cheap places (that are in good locations) nowhere really bad, but nowhere really nice. :)

Check out hostels, you will find many great hostels in most of these places. My preference is here.

If you are not 21, are you at least 18? Hotels that rent to under 21 are not that plentiful, and those that rent to under 18 are nonexistent. Hostels are the best deals in cities. Have you considered some camping?

32 days gives you plenty of time to both see scenery and cities. Taking the scenic routes between cities will make for a much more enjoyable trip.

7. Default

If you are not 21, are you at least 18? Hotels that rent to under 21 are not that plentiful, and those that rent to under 18 are nonexistent. Hostels are the best deals in cities. Have you considered some camping?

32 days gives you plenty of time to both see scenery and cities. Taking the scenic routes between cities will make for a much more enjoyable trip.
    we are 19 :) i'm not really much of a camper though..

will it take much longer to do the scenic routes?

Let's back up a bit - what are your reasons for taking this trip? You have 32 days - exactly what do you want to do besides drive your car? You sound like all you want to do is drive from city to city and do *something* in each city - what do these cities have that is going to take up 32 days of your time without emptying your wallets? You have Utah on your list - Utah is a big state, you could spend 32 days there just driving around and seeing everything it has to offer and not even SEE a city. What would you like to do there?

Perhaps you and your friends should take our compatibility quiz while you are sitting down planning this trip.

Please don't take me wrong - I'm not trying to give you a hard time. I just don't get the impression that you really know what you want to do - yet.

Quote Originally Posted by swagger View Post
    i'm not really much of a camper though..
    You should not have to camp on the route you are doing... There are lots and lots of hostels along it.

Why not get a couple of good, large maps, and get onto the hostel site, and plot where all the hostels are, then see how close they are to the route you wish to travel. I am confident that you will find enough to accommodate you most nights.

I would give each hostel a call before you set out, just to check that they are still operational. It has happened to me once that I turned up only to find that the hostel had closed two years earlier.

10. Default

Let's back up a bit - what are your reasons for taking this trip? You have 32 days - exactly what do you want to do besides drive your car? You sound like all you want to do is drive from city to city and do *something* in each city - what do these cities have that is going to take up 32 days of your time without emptying your wallets? You have Utah on your list - Utah is a big state, you could spend 32 days there just driving around and seeing everything it has to offer and not even SEE a city. What would you like to do there?

Perhaps you and your friends should take our compatibility quiz while you are sitting down planning this trip.

Please don't take me wrong - I'm not trying to give you a hard time. I just don't get the impression that you really know what you want to do - yet.
    well to be honest we have to get back to Calgary. as that's where my friend lives who has the car. i am however from the UK, so I haven't been to any of these places before. Due to this I want to see the main attractions in each of the cities. We will spend more time in San Francisco and LA than say Portland or Seattle.