1. Default Redlands to Phoenix Food Stops

Hi Everyone,

My husband and I are planning a quick road trip from Redlands, CA to Phoenix to add another baseball park to my list. This is a straight shot for us on the 10 (about 4 1/2 hours), but I'd like to know if anyone has any suggestions on good places to eat (think Diners, Drive-ins and Dives). I'd really like a good diner or something where breakfast is king, but any good food location suggestions are welcomed!

Also any suggestions in an around Phoenix for food would be great. Thanks!

Tucson, AZ

Default Most Asked, Least Answered, Question

Welcome aboard the RoadTrip America Forums!

You know, I've been contributing to these boards for several years now and I've seen many, many requests for recommendations of places to eat, and very, very few actual suggestions. The problem is that it's almost impossible to give a meaningful tip. There are over 2,000,000 miles of paved road in the United States, and if there were only one restaurant every 20 miles, that's still 100,000 restaurants. No one could have eaten at them all and be able to name a specific restaurant in a specific town or along a specific piece of road, on demand. And there are only a handful or two of 'regulars' trying to answer all the questions. Secondly, even if someone had managed to sample every restaurant (and didn't weigh 400 pounds!), dining establishments are notorious for changing management (and chefs) frequently. Then, of course, while I might like standard 'American' dining, you might be looking for something with a bit more character and bite.

The best advice anyone can give you is to "Inquire Locally". Check at welcome centers when you enter a new state. They may not know what's down the road a couple of hundred miles, but they'll know generally where the towns are that can support some gastronomical competition, and they often have coupons for discounts at intriguing eateries. When it's time to eat, drive into a small to moderate sized city or town and see if they have a local information center. This is where my wife and I have gotten some great tips. The trick here is that you need to describe as accurately as you can what kind of dining experience you're looking for, and to always phrase the final question in the form of where they would eat if they were after such a place.

3. Default

That's kind of why I specified diner/breakfast specialty...I thought that narrowed down the options. Not too many diners left these days. I will research elsewhere...just thought of all the posters here that some are probably based in or around Phoenix and could offer some input.