Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Default Las Vegas - Death Valley - Sequoia National Park

Hello,

First of all, I would like to mention, that Roadtrip America is the best side for all the travellers who wants to see the America!
    I am from Slovenia and in June I am pllaning trip from San Diego to San Francisco. I would like to know which is the best (shortest) road from Las Vegas to Sequoia National Park (drive through Dead Valley) - is it possible to see it both in one day? If not, what do you propose?

Thank you very much for your answers!

Matej

Default More info please.

Glad you are enjoying the forums!

Hello and welcome to the R.T.A. forums.

I think it would be best if you shared your itinerary with us so that we know how long you have and your full plan as travelling from Vegas to Sequoia is a long way from travelling from SD to SF.
    To leave Vegas and see both Death Valley and Sequoia is not possible in a day. You could get from Vegas to Sequoia in a day and drive through but not much else.
    It would be a shame to miss Death valley and I would have a look at Yosemite as an option from Death valley going over the Tioga pass [120] on the way to SF.

To do any 2 of the 3 options I would allow a minimum of 2 nights getting to SF.

3. Default Thanks

We will have 17 days to get from S.D to S.F. We will leave Las Vegas early in the moorning (5-6-a.m.), drive through Death Valley and than to Sequoia National Park and wisit it. Spend the night around (any suggestion?) and next day drive to Big Sur. Thats the plan - what do you think? Any suggestions appreciated.

Default way too much

Yeah, you are really really trying to do too much too fast here. I just don't think you are really appreciating just how big of an area you are talking about.

Its a very full day drive to get from Las Vegas to Sequoia, and that's taking the direct route and that's before you even get to the national park. Even if you just drive through Death Valley, you'd easily be looking at 12+ hours just to get to the enterance to Sequoia. Then it takes another couple hours to drive through the park. There is just no way you can do that all in one day, and then head onto big sur the next day.

If you've got 17 days, then you should have a nice amount of time to explore and see things. I'm not sure how you've got the rest of your time broken up, but this leg really needs to be rethought.

Default Agreed.

As I stated in my earlier post you would need 2 nights to do this part of your trip comfortably and enjoy the many sights.

If you can't find any extra time then with the 2 days you have [1 night] you could leave Vegas early, explore Death Valley and drive as near to the Exeter/ Visalia area as you can and then head through Three rivers into Sequoia NP early the following morning, have some time at the Giants forest and walk the trial to the General Sherman tree and then start making your way to Big Sur via Fresno and Los Banos. If you need to stretch your legs, just after Los Banos is the San Luis reservoir rec area.

As Michael has mentioned, the areas are large and through DV and Sequoia the roads are slow [more so in Sequoia] so expect long days and not to get to Big Sur untill the evening.
    Last edited by Southwest Dave; 03-27-2009 at 07:51 AM. Reason: Calrity.

6. Default West Coast Trip - What do you think?

Hello,

We are planning a road trip at the end of June, and our plan is:

Start in San Diego (3 days - to see ZOO, Coronado, old town...), then drive to L.A. (stay 4 days ) , drive to Las Vegas (stay 2 days - 1 day trip to Grand Canyon), drive through Deat Valley to Sequoia National Park (spend the night), view of the park and drive to the Big Sur (spend the night). Drive through Carmel and Monterey (17 miles drive) to S.F. Spend 4 days in S.F. Is it ok or you have other suggestions?

Thanks,

Matej
    Last edited by Midwest Michael; 03-30-2009 at 05:46 AM. Reason: Merged - Please don't create new threads about the same trip

Default repeating, again

Once again, I think you are greatly underestimating the distances you are planning to travel.

We have already said that your plan to visit Death Valley and Sequoia in one day and then continue onto Big Sur the next day is way way too much.

You are also trying to do way too much in your Vegas/Grand Canyon leg. The Grand Canyon is a solid 5-6 hour drive each way from Vegas, and is too far to do as a daytrip. Vegas is also a pretty significant detour between LA and the Grand Canyon. It would make more sense to drive directly to the Canyon from LA, spend the night outside the park (you won't have time to see it the same day), and then eventually backtrack to Vegas. However, I would still encourage you to add some time to this leg as well.

Just in general, you're spending lots of time in cities, but not giving yourself nearly enough time for the very long drives or to spend any time in the scenic places you've listed.

8. Default Advice

Thank you very much for your tips! Due to your advice, we added one day - could you please help me plan our trip from Las Vegas (Death Valley, Sequoia) to Monterey - we will do it now in 3 days (2 nights) - is it enough time? What do you think is the best option?

Default You won't regret it !

Staying in the Lake Isabella area would be a good option on your first night and in Sequoia for your second but there are variables depending on what time you wish to arrive in Monterey and how long in each park.

You could spend a night on the edge of DV at Panamint springs for instance and then drive to Lemon cove/Three rivers the following day and then through Seqouia and to Monterey, arriving in the evening.
    This option could include taking the Kern river highway through Johnsondale and Cedar slope to Strathmore from Kernville/Lake Isabella which is very scenic but slow going and would make for 3 longer days than the first option.

I also agree with Michael, going to the GC for a night from LA and back to Vegas would be a better option. To get in and out of Vegas and the Grand canyon and crossing the Hoover dam in a day will be anything from 10 to 12 hours of driving and just won't allow you any quality time at the Canyon.

10. Default Thank you

Thank you very much for your tips!