Default LV to LA to SF help needed!

Hi there, I am planning a West Coast holiday this coming August and have a few simple questions that I would appreciate help with.

I hope to drive to LA from Las Vegas with no overnight stop. Hope to leave Vegas around 10am. What is the best route to take to LA and how long will it take me?

Next after 3 nights in LA I need to drive to San Francisco as above.

Should I book car hire before my trip from the UK or is it safe/cheaper to rent a car when I am out there?

Default No Problem

Welcome aboard the RoadTrip America Forums!

Most people make the drive from Las Vegas to Los Angeles in a single day. It's only 270 miles, a straight shot down I-15, so even with your anticipated late start you should not have a problem. However, if you are making the drive on a weekday, you will end up entering L.A. at rush hour and will need to add up to a couple of hours to your expected drive time depending on exactly where you're headed. As far as renting your car, I believe that you can do much better by setting up your rental now through a European booking agency than you can count on by just walking up to the desk at the airport when you won't really have too many options.

AZBuck

You will be able to make it from LV to San Bernardino on I-15 in about 3.5 hours plus stops. From there, it's anybody's guess due to traffic.

You can also drive to San Francisco from LA in one day - via I-5 and I-580 its 385 miles, about 6 hours plus stops plus traffic delays at each end. However, if you can make a 2 day trip out of it, going via the coast road (CA-1) is very scenic but slow.

Another option is US-101 all the way - that's 445 miles and can be done in about 8 hours or so.

It would be a shame, you coming all the way over here and not doing any sightseeing - just driving from city to city.

4. Default

Hi!

I'm doing a similar trip in June/July but in reverse (SF-LA-LV-PHX). Can't help on timing/distance but for car hire you should definitely hire over here in the UK before you go, firstly because you'll pay in pounds so it should be cheaper, secondly because your cost will be fully inclusive of all necessary insurances so you know the price you pay will fully cover you and you'll not have to add anything on when you get there.

I'm using USrentacar.com. I used them last year and no probs (there is also, I believe no one way rental charge if you start in NV and finish in CA). Their quotes are fully inclusive of all insurances. Another all inclusive company is airline-network.co.uk.

Thanks for all the info guys, thats really helpful. I may consider leaving LV earlier to allow for LA traffic. Does the drive from LV to LA take in any of the Grand Canyon by any chance or would that mean taking a detour?

Default Nope.

Quote Originally Posted by pinky00 View Post
    Thanks for all the info guys, thats really helpful. I may consider leaving LV earlier to allow for LA traffic. Does the drive from LV to LA take in any of the Grand Canyon by any chance or would that mean taking a detour?
    Oh no, The Grand canyon is in the opposite direction and would require one night minimum and add a lot of miles.

Well worth the time and effort though if it's possible !

If not, options open to you if you are prepared for a long day are to cross Death Valley [boy what a landscape !] or head through the Mojave National preserve to Twenty nine palms [Joshua tree?] and on to LA.
    Last edited by Southwest Dave; 03-27-2009 at 07:59 AM. Reason: Added info.

You can't avoid LA traffic except late at night through to the early morning. It's pretty congested all day but rush hours are really terrible. It all depends exactly where in LA you are going, some freeways are worse than others.

We are staying in West Hollywood and will be leaving Las Vegas on the Friday morning. Death Valley sounds tempting, how long would it add to out drive? We don't have to be in LA by a certain time.

To drive across Death valley I would allow another 4 hours or so to enjoy it and maybe have some lunch.