1. Default Sleeping in your car (snow concerns)

I can do my work from almost anywhere with my laptop. So for the past two years, I have basically been on a permanent road trip, bouncing from city to city, enjoying incredible advertures, meeting hundreds of people and seeing friends/family that I rarely could see from a fixed lifestyle and eliminating cost of renting an apartment. The fact that I must hit the gym in the morning for a shower ensures that I keep a regular fitness routine.

I completely avoid hotels for cost reasons, so I sleep in my car when not staying with others. I have mastered all the security and safety concerns of sleeping in my car expect one aspect. I want to be able to safely sleep in my car during snowfall. I have a CB radio, cell phone, CO and smoke detectors inside my car for safety purposes (I don't sleep with my car running).

My concern is a blanket of heavy overnight snowfall covering up all ventilation into the cabin. If snow is a safety concern with car sleeping, how do RVs avoid this? Thanks

I'd leave a window opposite the wind cracked open about half an inch. Installing air deflector shades over the windows would help here, preventing a lot of snow from possibly blowing in.

Default how much snow are you talking about

Welcome to the RTA Forum!

You'd really have to be talking about a pretty huge snowfall before you'd be having a problem with it blocking all ventalation. But as GLC mentioned, cracking your windows should pretty much take car of any situation. If the snow is up over your windows, then you've got real problems...

4. Default

Quote Originally Posted by techman41973 View Post
    I have basically been on a permanent road trip eliminating cost of renting an apartment. I completely avoid hotels for cost reasons, so I sleep in my car when not staying with others.
    could you please elaborate more on this topic?

I am planning to take a roadtrip focused on scenic photography - the best light is at sunrise and sunset, I hate the thought that I might spend sunsets looking for a nearby cheap hotel or sunrise within walls, especially considering my limited time for the journey. I was thinking of hiring a car large enough to be used as a sleeping place on regular basis, leaving only every second or third night for a hotel bed to stretch the bones on a bed.

now, there's a series of questions I have:

1. where do you park your car for the night when you sleep inside?
    2. is there any legal risk? [e.g. police knocking in the night asking questions or more]
    3. what are the security measures you mentioned?

thanks

Default basics

There are many threads about sleeping in a car, however, this thread is probably the best for talking about the basics of where and how to do so safely and legally.