1. Default Denver - San Francisco - LA - Las Vegas - Denver in 9 days?

Hi,

I'm a new member to this forum and am looking for any advice on a trip that me and 5 friends from the UK want to do in August 09.

We are flying into Denver and picking up an RV and want to take in a number of places:

San Francisco
    LA
    Las Vegas (Would also like to include Grand Canyon and Hoover Dam if we can)
    Four Courners
    Denver

We have 9 days to try and get to each of the places. Ideally, we want to stay for 1-2 nights in Vegas, but are not too fussed about the others.

If anyone can provide any info to these questions, it would be greatly appreciated:

1. Is 9 days enough to get to all of these places
    2. Is Highway 101 the best route from SF to LV?
    3. Are there any particular routes that we should take between places to get the best out of the trip?

Thanks in advance

Pete

Default Too much.

Hello and welcome to the R.T.A. forums.

1. Is 9 days enough to get to all of these places
    Not really I'm afraid.

From Denver to SF to LA and back to Denver in the most direct way is around 2700 miles. With detours say 3000 miles and take 2 days in Vegas and you will need to cover over 425 miles a day which in an RV will put you on the road for an estimated 8- 9 hours everyday so there won't be any time to stop at SF, LA and Grand canyon other than a drive through and night there.

We have 9 days to try and get to each of the places. Ideally, we want to stay for 1-2 nights in Vegas, but are not too fussed about the others.
    Hardly worth the drive and hassle of trying to drive an RV around LA for just a few hours.

In all honesty I think you would be much better off using the Grand canyon and /or Vegas as your turning point on this trip and enjoying some of the best scenery you will find anywhere. The Alpine scenery of Colorado and the Rocky's, the amazing Parks of Utah such as Arches, Zion and Bryce canyon and the Grand Canyon and Monument Valley in Arizona really are places to be seen and in an RV you can enjoy them from within the parks campgrounds in amazing settings.

If it were me I would leave the coast for another trip.

3. Default

Thanks for the speedy reply :o)

Looks like will have to rethink a few things! 8-9 hours a day travelling in an RV doesn't sound like its gonna be much fun.

Having done a bit more reading around, it sounds like the Grand Canyon is a great place to be at sunset/sunrise so will make sure that we take that in.

Having already visited Colorado before, I'm going to make sure that we take in the scenery of the Rockies again as my two days travelling through there did not do it justice, and am hoping for some great scenery in UT and AZ.

Do you recommend any particular routes for going from Loveland (have family living here here so will probably be leaving from there rather than Denver) to Vegas? Would it be best to go through the Rockies and Utah and go anti clockwise, or go south through NM and AZ, or does it not make any difference?

Thanks

How much time can you budget from Loveland to LV? Fastest route is about 800 miles, which will take 16 hours (2 days) in a RV driving point to point with normal fuel, bio, and food stops. That would be I-25/I-70/I-15.

5. Default

Hi,

We have an RV for 9 days as I need to be back in Boulder on the 10th day. Ideally, with the revised trip, we want to see as much as possible.

I don't think we have a specific budget on time between Loveland and Las Vegas, just as long as we are back in Colorado on the 9th day to return the RV. I think we would be plannin to stop at least once in UT on the way to Vegas, probably near one of the National Parks.

We want to stay in Vegas for at least 2 days, which would leave us 7 for travelling between destinations, in which we would like to include Grand Canyon and Hoover Dam, and if poss, four corners.

Default Something to work from.

Hi,

You time is soon going to disappear, but that's the same problem most of us share, so much to do, so little time so it's all about making choices.

You could spend a day in RNP Morraine camp ground near Estes park and explore the Bear Lake road. A drive over Trial Ridge rd through Grand Lake and towards Grand Junction [Colorado NM] or Moab [Arches NP] and that would be another full day.

Continuing on I-70 you could head down the 89 to Zion NP and the Watchman campground for the night and then a short run to Vegas down I-15 the following morning.

The Oasis is a nice resort and not to far from the strip.

So with an early start from Vegas you could get to GC by lunchtime [Mather campground well situated] and see some viewpoints between the village and Hermits rest. The following day, drive along Desert view drive to the East entrance [64] and you could head to Monument valley 89/160/163 or the Four corners.

From there to Denver is another bundle of options but your time is running out and it's a long days drive between the two places. If there is a night left here you could head up the 550 from Durango to Montrose on the scenic Million dollar highway to Black canyon or head to Pagosa Springs and the Great sand dunes NP.

Of course this is an example of what you could do and how time will fly by it's for you and your group to decide what's best for you.

Get the maps out, hit the search button and enjoy the planning!

You cound conceivably make it from say, Cortez to Denver in one day of dedicated driving. It's about 450 miles via Durango, Montrose, Gunnison, Poncha Springs, then 285 the rest of the way. Get an early start, it's probably going to be 12 hours in a RV on the mountain roads. You can make the day shorter if you can make it to Durango the night before.

If you spend the night in Durango and like good BBQ, I highly recommend Serious Texas BBQ. There are 2 in town - one on North Main and one south of downtown on the 160 east frontage road across the highway from the Super 8. I see they have one in Loveland now too.

8. Default RV advice

Hi,

I know this probably isn't the right place to be asking, but you guys seem to know a lot, so I thought I'd give it a shot :o)

After planning our 9 day trip around CO, UT, NV & AZ (thanks to all for the input) I am trying to get hold of the RV company to check one thing:

Most RV companies state that overseas customer must overnight before they pick up their RV. Does anyone know if this means that we have to overnight in the place where we are picking up our RV, or does it just mean overnight in the US? We have got a flight into NYC on 10th Aug and are wondering if we can fly into Denver on the 11th and pick up the RV in the afternoon, or would we have to get a connecting flight and be in Denver on the 10th, ready to pick the RV up on the 11th?

As I said before, I know this may not be the best place to ask the question, but am still waiting to hear back from the RV company, and when I phone them, it just keeps saying that all their operators are busy and that I should leave a message.

Any help would be greatly appreciated :o)

Thanks

Pete
    Last edited by Midwest Michael; 04-07-2009 at 01:16 PM. Reason: merged with original thread

Default From the horses mouth.

I think you should wait and here from the RV company, but as I understand it you should be Ok as you have had your overnight stay in the States.

Have you e-mailed the local depot you are picking it up from rather than the head office ?
    If not that would be the thing to do as you could possibly get a different answer from a different depot.