1. Default Advice Needed for a Short Road Trip

Hello everyone,

A few friends and myself are planning to drive up to Niagara Falls from central Jersey for spring break in a week and a half or so. Before we do this, though, I have a few questions I hope you guys can help me with.
    1) Is Niagara Falls any better on the Canadian side than the NY side? Also, is it still possible to get into Canada with just a birth certificate, or is a passport now needed?
    2) Does anyone have any campsites they would reccomend? I've been looking online and I've seen a lot of different possibilties. Seeing as this still offseason, it's still possible to make reservations pretty much anywhere. I just want a site thats close to the falls and that isn't going to break the bank.
    3) There's going to be 3 of us. I could either take a Honda Accord or a Chevy Suburban. Would the extra space of the Suburban be worth the extra money it's going to cost filling the tank up?
    4) Finally, other than gas and the rate the campsite is going to charge, how much is a good amount of money to take for a five day trip (per person)?

Once again, thank you very much for any help.

Default Welcome!

Welcome to the RoadTrip America Forum!

Quote Originally Posted by RollingStone View Post
    Hello everyone,

A few friends and myself are planning to drive up to Niagara Falls from central Jersey for spring break in a week and a half or so. Before we do this, though, I have a few questions I hope you guys can help me with.
    1) Is Niagara Falls any better on the Canadian side than the NY side? Also, is it still possible to get into Canada with just a birth certificate, or is a passport now needed?
    The Canadian side has quite a bit more going on, at least it did the last time I went. It's got more of a "carnival" atmosphere. You need a passport to get back into the US.

2) Does anyone have any campsites they would reccomend? I've been looking online and I've seen a lot of different possibilties. Seeing as this still offseason, it's still possible to make reservations pretty much anywhere. I just want a site thats close to the falls and that isn't going to break the bank.
    I'm surprised you've been able to find campgrounds that are open this early in the season!

3) There's going to be 3 of us. I could either take a Honda Accord or a Chevy Suburban. Would the extra space of the Suburban be worth the extra money it's going to cost filling the tank up?
    Does all the gear you are planning to bring with you fit in the Accord? Which vehicle are you more comfortable (in all aspects) driving?

4) Finally, other than gas and the rate the campsite is going to charge, how much is a good amount of money to take for a five day trip (per person)?
    Are you planning on eating out for every meal, or are you going to be making your own meals from time to time at the camp site? Are you planning on going to a lot of attractions? Are you going to be buying any souvenirs/knick-knacks/etc.? The other costs, such as lodging and fuel, you can figure out readily. Probably $150 for the campsite and fuel depends on vehicle.

I'm not positive, but I believe that for land re-entry, US citizens 19 and older can still cross from Canada with a government-issued photo ID and a birth certificate or naturalization certificate (until June 1, 2009). After that, a passport or an enhanced driver's license will be required. A passport is highly recommended, though. If you plan on driving into Canada, you will need proof of insurance that's valid in Canada, contact your insurance agent to get a card.

Quote Originally Posted by RollingStone View Post
    For sure. The Canadian side is much better then the US side when it comes to views. Also the Canadian side has lot more tourist attractions then the US side.

5. Default

lol, I was just at Niagara Falls this past weekend. I would say you HAVE to see it from the Canadian side.

Bad news is the Maid of the Mist (boat tour) will not be open this early in the season. With three guys I think getting a hotel room wouldn't be too expensive. I stayed at the Hampton Inn place and it was 69 a night during the week and 89 on weekend. I stayed there Friday and Saturday so it average 79 a night. Decent free breakfast and good room with two beds and a pool if your into that, although it was full of kiddies.

Attractions. I went to:
    Go Karts: $21 a person (there is a coupon in hotel for this you need to get for 50% more driving time)
    Mini Golf: $4 a person at same place with coupon
    Nightmares haunted house: I think $14 a person but can get a discount if you buy online. Was actually really scary, best haunted house I've been to
    Mini Golf: $9 a person, the neon one
    Sky Wheel: $10 a person

There was this really good pizza place that had some excellent deals, it was called like Jumbo Pizza or something. Run by a chinese couple that gave us fortune cookies with our order. Ate lunch there and it was so good and good price went again for dinner. Check it out.

I drove up in my honda accord and have done plenty of trips with three in it no problems. I even have gotten as much as 35 MPG in it, so I would def use it to save money in gas. I spent maybe $60 in gas coming from NY and made the drive in 7 or 8 hours having to stop many times for GF to pee...

I was never asked for proof of insurance when crossing the border but every time I go they search my car and make me go to customs so I guess they see it when they search.

Have fun and watch out for the police, so many state troopers out in the past few months.