1. Default Any ideas? Minneapolis Area to Seattle, Wa: Southern Route

Driving from Minneapolis to Seattle. Have thought about taking a northern route, but its been suggested by a family member to go a more southern route. I want to stop in Rapid City and San Fransisco, but everything in the middle is sort of fuzzy right now Maybe all the way down to the grand canyon.

Green County, Wisconsin

Default big detours

Welcome to the RTA Forum!

The big question is how much time do you have for your trip?

You've listed 3 places that you're thinking about, Rapid City is on a nearly direct route, only adding about 100 miles to the fastest possible option. In either case, you're looking at a 1700-1800 miles, and 3-4 days on the road for the one way trip.

The other ones are a bit more tricky. San Francisco adds a full 1,000 miles to your trip, and adding the Grand Canyon adds another 500 miles on top of that. Going to both places would literally double the length of your trip.

Now, there's nothing wrong with taking the long way there if you've got time and there are places you really want to see. My thought would be, unless you've got at least a week you're not going to be able to add all of those miles, and unless you have about 10 days to get to Seattle, you're not going to have time to enjoy it. If you've got less time, then I'd stick to focusing on I-90 or I-94 and possible detours off of those main options.