Default Denver to Vegas & back (Southwest 09!)

Hi Everyone,

I'm new to this forum, but I'm a longtime lurker on this site. I LOVE roadtrips! I'm a 29 yr old, married, no kids, but the hubby and I want to introduce our travel-loving nephew to the joys of roadtrips. We're driving from Denver and stopping in Albuquerque, Flagstaff, and Vegas (with many stops along the way for the Petrified Forest, the Grand Canyon, and 3 days of kid-friendly Vegas fun, incl. the Hoover Dam--he's been to Vegas before and loves it). We're planning for the last wk of June/1st days of July, and we're extremely excited. I should add that we're Vegas veterans, and are staying at The Rio for a Mon-Weds nite. Everything else is totally open and we're furiously gathering ideas :)

I'm looking for all kinds of tips on traveling by car with an 8 year old boy. He's well-behaved and easily entertained, but we still need ideas and more places to add educational value to this journey.

Last edited by halloweengirl; 03-22-2009 at 07:47 PM. Reason: More info needed

Tucson, AZ

Default Some Other 8 Year Old Highlights

Welcome aboard the RoadTrip America Forums!

Of course I'm not sure which of these might interest your nephew, but young boys would generally be interested in at least some of the following: the Black Canyon of the Gunnison, the Durango & Silverton Narrow Gauge Railroad, Mesa Verde National Park, Monument Valley, Lowell Observatory, Walnut Canyon National Monument, Meteor Crater, Petroglyph National Monument, and after a small side trip up the Turquoise Trail to Santa Fe and then continuing northward to Taos, the Taos Pueblo, and Kit Carson's home.

Remember, you don't have to use the same route going and coming! And if you're not aware of it, be sure to inquire at each National Park about the Junior Ranger Program. These typically involve some (free) self-directed learning activities for which the child gets a souvenir badge upon successful completion.