1. Default San Francisco to Las Vegas

I am visiting America from Australia in June next, and plan to travel, via self drive car, from San Francisco to Las Vegas. I would like to do the trip with only one stopover if possible. I am seeking advice as to the best way to undertake the trip. Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Edit: e-mail address removed
    Last edited by AZBuck; 03-20-2009 at 06:56 PM.

Tucson, AZ

Default Good, Better, but no Best

Welcome aboard the RoadTrip America Forums!

One thing you'll almost never hear (or read) around here is that there is a single 'best' route to get from point A to point B. Now you could drive directly through to Las Vegas in a single day by sticking to the major freeways: I-5/CA-58/I-15, giving you more time in Las Vegas if that's your desire. If, on the other hand, you'd like to take the (very) scenic route, head through Yosemite and Death Valley National Parks by taking I-580 to I-205 and I-5 north a short way to CA-120 east. That will take you to and through Yosemite and over Tioga Pass to the town of Lee Vining. There take US-395 south to Lone Pine and then turn southeast on CA-136 to CA-190 through Death Valley. From Death Valley Junction (where CA-190 and CA-127 meet) you'll be on local roads, Ash Meadows Rd. and Bell Vista to NV-160 north of the town of Parhump, NV which will continue on into Las Vegas. That drive will easily take up your 2 days, especially if you take advantage of the beauty of those two parks. You should plan to spend the night somewhere along US-395 such as Bishop.

3. Default SF to LV

Thanks for the info re my request to travel from San Francisco to Las Vegas. What you have provided seems to be the way to go. It makes sense to see as much as we can if we have the time. I understand the places you suggested are really worth visiting. I have another query re travel on your East Coast which I will post on the normal way. Thanks again.

South of England.

Default A resounding YES !

Hi Allen.

I understand the places you suggested are really worth visiting.
    100% not to be missed !