1. Default Houston to Vegas road trip completed!

First of all thank you to everyone on this website who took the time to help plan my roadtrip, seen here

Now I am back in the UK just a bit of feedback on how it went.....

Generally we had a lot fun taking the old Route 66 although the roads where rough and American drivers seemed to be quite wreck less! But once I got used to the no indication, no lane discipline thing I really had a lot of fun. I found the American people to be kind and friendly and generally have changed a lot of the opinions I had about the US I even bought an American flag and displayed it on the back window of the Corvette. The Corvette ZHZ from hertz was amazing it dealt with everything the road trip threw at it. I am so impressed that I am looking into buying a Corvette and shipping it over as it has to be one of the best sports cars out there today! Also Vegas does not disappoint even if like me you do not gamble or drink its an amazing place to visit so is the grand canyon and the hoover dam!

Now for the next road trip……….

Here’s my problem.. my relatives live 1500miles apart in Houston and Vegas and to be honest although I do want to do another road trip I really don’t fancy such a long trip again but still want to visit both relatives.
    Last edited by Southwest Dave; 03-19-2009 at 04:02 AM. Reason: Added link to original planning.

Default fly and drive

Its great to hear about your trip and your experience.

If you don't want to drive the entire leg next time, you might want to look at flying between the two cities, but still fiting in a bunch of daytrip around the areas.

Default Great news !

Hi, welcome back ZED,

Thanks for dropping by and letting us know how it went. Being from the UK I am surprised you found the driving to be, shall we say "dubious" as I had a totally different experience, and found not only the driving to be good but the drivers themselves a lot more patient and relaxed then we find here. [And that was in a "much loathed in the UK" motorhome.]
    Any other highlights of the trip that you havn't mentioned ?

Here’s my problem.. my relatives live 1500miles apart in Houston and Vegas and to be honest although I do want to do another road trip I really don’t fancy such a long trip again but still want to visit both relatives.
    There are worse places to have to travel, come to think of it there aren't many better !
    You know where to come if you need ideas ;-)

4. Default

I did find the driving in some areas a bit stressful but in the end I just thought when in Rome.....

Through the route we took we had the chance to see some amazing scenery from perfect sunsets to the post card scenery an American road trip can not disappoint. Arizona was particularly beautiful and meeting up with some Native Americans was a really good experience and driving through Texas proved that there really is nothing like southern hospitality. In the future if I do it all again I will leave more than just 3 days to do the trip plus stop in more places. Is there an alternative route to take next time? Something with smoother roads?

Advice on hotels...

1. Always ask for a discount as most of the time I got upto $20 off the price
    2. Ask to see the room before check inn!
    3. Be prepared to pay nothing less then $100 a night at the Grand Canyon for a standard room!

Advice on driving...

1. Keep the fuel topped up don’t let it go much less then half a tank
    2. I found that having a car with a good amount of torque helps with keeping you moving in all conditions.
    3. Be very careful when over taking the 18 wheelers try to get passed sooner rather than later and hold the steering wheel tight as you may find your car getting sucked in.
    4. Adhere to the speed limits and always stop at stop signs!
    5. If travelling from the UK take your TOM TOM with you as I found it to be more useful than the hertz never lost which was pretty poor.
    6. On the freeway be conscious of the lane you’re in and where it leads to.
    7. Listen to the people on this website especially when it comes to planning how many days you should leave to do the journey as i found out the hard way that 3 days was just not enough for 1500miles.

Grand Canyon, Hoover dam and Vegas make an amazing holiday mixing man made beauty with natural beauty... Good luck.

Default So much.

Some good tips there !

I will leave more than just 3 days to do the trip plus stop in more places. Is there an alternative route to take next time?
    Depending on the time you can allow will depend on what and where you get to go but there are so many great places in this region to choose from it's unbelievable. Just have a look at the National parks in Utah, Colorado, New Mexico and Arizona.

With the time you could consider a one way trip starting out from California to Vegas [San Fran through Yosemite and Death Valley for instance] and onto Houston.

Time to get the map out again ! Lol!

6. Default

I am thinking of flying into Vegas then driving to Houston and back again maybe in June 2010 and this time i will allow a lot more time to do the driving and have a driving cut off time of 9pm each day. I really miss the Ihop and Denys breakfast in America!