Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Default North Carolina to California and back! 5 weeks, may/june

Hey all,

4 of us, in a rented car, planning on driving from chapel hill NC, to California and back, over 5 weeks. Just looking for some general tips!

One fixed point in the trip is that we need to be at Denver, CO 7 days into the trip (friend flying out to join us). One note: 3 of us are foreigners, and so we want to see lots of spectacular landscapes (Kansas/Rockies/desert) and small towns. We are hoping to save money by camping a lot.

Here is a possible google map of our route

One question: as you can see, our route involves us coming back through texas. Is it instead possible to dip into mexico, drive through there for the width of texas, and then rejoin the USA?

Thanks!
    elsie
    Last edited by Midwest Michael; 03-18-2009 at 02:41 PM. Reason: link format

Default staying north

Welcome to the RTA Forum!

To start you off, you will not be able to drive a rental car into Mexico, so that will not be an option. If you'd really like to visit Mexico, you'll have to park in a border town and walk across. However, you should also know that there has been a significant problem with violence in Mexico recently, particularly along the border. Several travel advisories have been issued about the dangers of traveling to Mexico right now, so I'd think long and hard about how important crossing the border really is to you.

3. Default

Yeah I suspected as much -- I think we might cross over at tijuana or some other border town for the day, the violence there isn't as bad, but I think doing a long stretch of driving there is out.

Thanks for the tips!

elsieboy
    Last edited by Midwest Michael; 03-18-2009 at 03:15 PM. Reason: removed quote of entire previous post

Default isn't as bad?

I'm not sure where you heard that the violence in tj isn't as bad. From everything I've read, that's one of the worst spots right now, and there are significant concerns throughout the border region. Again, I'd recommend some study on this issue before you make a decision. Its a serious situation and really not the sort of thing you want to take lightly.

5. Default

As far as I understand it, the worst violence is concentrated around monter(r)ey and ciduad juarez? Tijuana doesn't seem dramatically more dangerous than usual.

Foreign office advice

elsieboy
    Last edited by AZBuck; 03-19-2009 at 07:29 PM. Reason: removed quote of entire previous post

I have relatives in San Diego that have Mexican friends. You do NOT want to go to Tijuana. The drug cartel is at war with the police, and the police are losing. Tourism is way down, and the tourists that do go are getting seriously hassled. It is not a safe city at all right now.

Default Back on routes.

Hi

One note: 3 of us are foreigners, and so we want to see lots of spectacular landscapes (Kansas/Rockies/desert)
    You seem to be looping around some of the most amazing landscape there is after Denver. I-70 and South of has many wonderful NP's such as Black Canyon, Mesa Verde, Colorado NM, Arches, Capitol reef, Bryce canyon, Zion and Death valley to name some.
    From Rocky NP you can take the Trial ridge road from Estes park through Grand lake, which is the highest continous paved road in the US and leads out onto I-70.
    I am presuming that although you havn't mapped the Grand canyon it is on your list as you pass by. If those places appeal to you, I would recommend choosing some to visit between Denver and Vegas, visiting Grand canyon before Vegas, go through Death valley and across the Tioga pass [120] into Yosemite and then SF. [To do this it is important to check whether or not the Tioga road is open as snow keeps it shut untill May or June.]
    You could then head down the coast and from LA head towards Tucson and back to your original route.

8. Default

Thanks! That's just the kind of info I was looking for.
    Last edited by AZBuck; 03-19-2009 at 07:30 PM. Reason: removed quote of entire previous post

Default Border Violence

Tijuana is not the only area of concern right now. Reports from locals near the border near several of national monuments along the USA/Mexico border are sounding the alarm that tourists need to avoid the border area until things quiet down. The BLM has issued an alert about some of these areas (I am looking for the link).

This is a serious issue -- do not take it lightly.

Mark

10. Default

I don't mean to sound blase, I am confident when I say that I have travelled to many more dangerous places than Tijuana is at the moment. In fact, two friends of mine got back from there yesterday.

Of course, I will probably be smoten for saying this, but it'll be fine. I am still however wondering if it's feasible to drive across mexico, south of texas?

elsieboy
    Last edited by Mark Sedenquist; 03-22-2009 at 04:37 PM. Reason: navigation