Default Need help...Italian user

Hi everybody!
    First of all sorry for my english(hope u can understand).
    I'm planning a summer trip with a friend from Denver to LA and i would have some advices about the way...do you think is better way south to Durango,Monument Valley and Page or way west to San Rafael reef,Richfield and then south to Bryce Canyon?
    10 years ago i've been there for a trip from Chicago to LA and i remember that Lake Powell was cool Rocky Mountain too.
    Alternative suggestions are welcome!!

Could someone also tell me if is possible to rent a Wrangler in Denver and leave it in LA?
    Cause Hertz was used to rent them but not anymore.
    Thank you in advance
    Marti

Default Better way ?

Hello and welcome to the R.T.A. forums !

Your English is fine, better than a lots of examples we find in England ;-)

When you say "better way" do you mean the quickest or most scenic ? Of course the most scenic is open to interpretation and there are many, many options.

How long do you have to make the journey ?

There is a lot of fantastic scenery in this area and offers lots of options, just a few of the NP's you could select from on the way would include Rocky NP, Colorado NM, Black canyon, Mesa Verde, Arches, Capitol reef, Zion, Bryce canyon, Grand canyon, Death valley and Joshua tree so you are not short of options.

Have a search of the forums and roadtrip planning pages [top of page in the green tool bar] for ideas and let us have some more info.

I am not sure about the Jeep Wrangler but most rental companies will not allow there cars off road so I doubt it will be worth trading a more comfortable and cheaper car for but there are companies that will rent them for local off road excursions.

Hello,first of all my journey will be of 16 days...12/13 from Denver to Las Vegas and 3/4 in Los Angeles.

I'm not searchin for the quickest way,just for the most scenic and exciting.

I've been in Page,Zion,Monument Valley during my last journey in the States 10 years ago.
    Everyday i spend many hours on google earth studing the trip,looking at some pics a reading about all the attractions between Colorado and California,but it's really hard to choose,that's why i'm asking all of you about suggestions,cause i'm sure u know better what to do if standin in my shoes.

Thanks again!!
    Marti

Default Your choice.

Hey Marti,

Well you certainly have a nice amount of time for your journey. Now we are here to help you with your route and your ideas rather than planning it for you as there is no one plan that suits all.

These are things that I would be interested in with your time scale;

Denver -Estes park in Rocky NP > Trial ridge road past Grand Lake and back to I-70 Glenwood springs > Grand junction and visit Colorado NM > Moab and Arches NP > back to I-70 [or a trip to Mesa Verde]and down through Hanksville, Capitol reef NP and Torrey on the 24. Through Escalante to
    Bryce canyon on scenic 12, Grand canyon North rim on 89 and Zion NP on 9and down to Vegas on I-15. A detour across Death valley and stop a night before heading to LA.

Of course there are many options and you could choose heading a little South through Black canyon on the 50/550 [Million dollar highway] to Durango and then Mesa Verde, Monument valley and the South rim of GC.

There is no right or wrong answers just choices and if you use the National parks website to locate parks and collect info and use the search button on the forums typing in the places of interest to you it will provide a lot more info and options.

Enjoy your planning and when you have found the route you are looking for let us know and we can help you put things in place.

Hi Dave
    Finally i have an idea about my roadtrip.
    Denver - Salida down on 91/24 -- 50 to Gunnison then 149 to South Fork -- 160 to Durango -- Monument Valley and then 98 to Page -- North Rim down on 67 -- Bryce Canyon -- Passing Zion to reach Vegas.

Now this is the first part and most important of my trip,the second is just Las Vegas/Death Valley/LA.

Now i hope you all could give me some advices about the most scenic road,the places to have a lunch or a dinner and where is good for camping.
    Just cause u wrote Dave...I had already travelled down 50/550 to Durango that's why i choose 149 to Lake City and South Fork but I would have a comment about it.
    From Denver to Salida i'm a little confused,cause 10 years ago I travelled on I70, stopping at El Rancho for dinner,passed Vail down on the 24 to Salida...This time sure on I70 but i noticed that at El Rancho i could travel on 74 and 103 to Idaho Springs and back to I70.

Thanks and be patient with my english

Marti

Default Some suggestions.

Hi Marti, welcome back.

From Denver to Salida i'm a little confused,cause 10 years ago I travelled on I70, stopping at El Rancho for dinner,passed Vail down on the 24 to Salida...This time sure on I70 but i noticed that at El Rancho i could travel on 74 and 103 to Idaho Springs and back to I70.
    I am not sure I understand your question fully, but Yes you can get from El Rancho to Idaho springs via the 103 which you could take a detour onto the highest paved road in America to the top of Mount Evans. You can also take a detour on to scenic Loveland pass to Dillon res.

If you are heading down 9/24 to Salida at Fairplay you have South park city and on the way to Black canyon there is Currecanti rec area.

From Salida I would consider going on to the Great sand dunes NP through Mineral hot spring.

On the 160 there is the town of Pagosa springs and near to Durango you will find Mesa Verde.

From there on Monument valley through Page/Lake Powell there is Antelope canyon and the rest of your journey takes in the best of what there is there.

Let us know if you have more questions.
    Last edited by Southwest Dave; 04-16-2009 at 04:05 AM. Reason: Added info