Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Default Is it safe to drive from LAX airport to Las Vegas during nighttime

I will arrive at LAX around 9:30pm on April 3. Is it safe to drive during the night straight to Las Vegas? Or, should I stay at some airport hotel and wait until morning?

South of England.

Default Get some sleep.

Hello and welcome to the R.T.A forums.

You don't mention where you are flying in from, but if it's an International flight I definitely wouldn't. Even if it isn't, it's not something I would recommend and wouldn't do it unless it was a matter of urgency/importance. By the time you have got through customs and picked up a rental car the clock will be ticking away and unless you are a night worker your body clock will start to think it's time to hit the pillow. Driving through the night can be a safety issue if you and your body clock are not used to it.
    I think you would be better off and safer by getting a few hours kip near the airport and getting an early start to Vegas. If you drove through the night before, during the time it will take you to get there the following morning,you would need to spend sleeping anyway, so you won't actually gain anything but your trip will be more enjoyable waiting untill morn.

3. Default

I will fly from Bangkok. 9:30pm would be around 12:30pm in Bangkok and I first thought I should be able to drive right away. On second thought, yes, I will take your advice finding some place to stay until morning. Thank you so much.

Melbourne, Australia

I'll have to second that... it is never wise to drive during the hours when you are normally asleep. Fatigue is a huge factor in road accidents.

And if you are coming off a long-haul international flight, I would leave it a little longer.

One of our champion - the greatest! - racing and rally drivers came off a long-haul flight, and decided he was fine to drive in a rally the next day.

The result is, his wife is a widow and his children have lost their father.

Green County, Wisconsin

Default agreed

I think you've made a very wise choice to spend your first night in LA.

There is nothing wrong with driving from LA to LAX at night, and I-15 actually still gets a pretty decent amount of traffic at all hours of the day and night.

However, trying to make a trip like that after being on a transcontinental flight really is really tough on your body and it would be very hard to maintain a safe level of alertness. Its easy to forget how hard just sitting in one place (especially on a plane) for 12+ hours can be on your body. That's before the jet lag factors into the equation. Also remember that a 9:30 arrival can easily become 11pm-midnight when you factor in minor delays, customs, baggage claim, car rental, etc.

Joplin MO

LAX to LV is 300 miles, it's close to a 5 hour drive. If you are absolutely wide awake and rested, not a problem, it's safe. However, if you are not accustomed to driving on the right side of the road, I don't think I'd want to try to adapt at night. As already said, I'd recommend staying in LA until morning, if nothing else, to try to shake the jet lag and get your body clock in sync with the time zone - awake during the day and asleep at night. The only advantage to leaving LA at midnight would be traffic avoidance. Maybe I'd think about driving an hour or so and staying in a hotel out around the Ontario airport to avoid the majority of the morning traffic. This is right near the I-10/I-15 junction and all the major hotel chains are represented out there.

7. Default When should I leave?

If I plan to stay at a LAX airport hotel until morning, what time should I leave for Las Vegas and still can avoid the traffic? What time are rush hours around LAX and LA?

Melbourne, Australia

Quote Originally Posted by pannee View Post
    What time are rush hours around LAX and LA?
    All day!! LOL

That is what it felt like, the first time I drove out of LA... seemed to take hours to get to I-15...

I would not leave before 10am, which would still give you tons of time to get to LV and see the sights along the way.

Las Vegas, Nevada

Default Variable

Quote Originally Posted by pannee View Post
    If I plan to stay at a LAX airport hotel until morning, what time should I leave for Las Vegas and still can avoid the traffic? What time are rush hours around LAX and LA?
    If you left the hotel at 5:00 am, it would take about five hours, if you leave anytime between 7:00 am and 7:00 pm it will take closer to 6.5 hours -- you might get it done in 6 hours, but like Lifey says -- traffic is going to be heavy all day.

10. Default

I will have two kids traveling with me. I first thought I would have them sleep in the car all the way to Las Vegas. However, I already cross this option out.

To stay one night in LA, I am not sure which is better for a group with kids between:
    Option 1: Stay at a LAX hotel, leave the place around 9 or 10 in the morning; and,
    Option 2: Drive out of LAX after landing, stay in Ontario area as glc suggested and leave for Las Vegas around 9 or 10.

Option 2 seems to be perfect but my concern is about waking kids when we arrive in Ontario. Not sure if they will be too tired being waken up too often.

Any comment would be appreciated.