Default Summer Road Trip 09, Need Help!

Hi, my friend and I are planning our first summer road trip and we're having a hard time determining where exactly we want to go. We are both 18 years old and live in Los Gatos, California (about half an hour south of SF). Our original plan was to stay on the coast, traveling up into oregon and then heading south down to san diego.
    I am beginning to rethink these plans, seeing as we've lived in California all our lives and it would be more satisfying to explore something a bit more inland. We both love the outdoors and will most likely be camping for the majority of the trip, but we would love to see some great cities along the way as well.
    My parameters:
    -Scehdule is very flexible, we have not yet established how long our trip will be. I would assume anywhere between 2 weeks-7weeks
    -Budget is not much of an issue at this point.
    -I would like to stop in southern Oregon to visit family for a few days.
    -I would also like to see Colorado if there are any good destinations along the way, this choice is expendable if there isn't much to see along the way.

Besides that I am very open to suggestions and places to visit. If anyone has any past experience with similar trips I would love to hear their thoughts. Thanks a lot in advance.

Green County, Wisconsin

Default A big window

Welcome to the RTA Forum!

A window for your trip of 2 to 7 weeks is a huge spread. Really, the difference between 2 weeks and basically 2 months dramatically changes what you can see and do, so I would start there and get a ballpark idea of how long you'll really want to be on the road.

Otherwise, I think you should really just sit down, pull out a map, and start thinking of places you'd like to go. Obviously there are tons of things you could do between California and Colorado, but the same could be said about pretty much any 2 destinations in the US. Once you know how much you can do with your time and what you'd want to do based on your interests, then you can start coming up with a rough outline of your trip.