Thread: Alaska Roadtrip

Default Alaska Roadtrip

Looking for some info on planning a trip to Alaska the first week in June. It is the only vacation week I get all year and I have been wanting to go to Alaska for 15 years. Planning on flying into Anchorage but would prefer to rent a car and explore on my own. I am experienced as road tripper, drove cross-country and back myself for 2 weeks just hitting where I wanted to and grabbing a cheap motel when necessary. I want to have a similiar experience.

I am planning on keeping my base in Anchorage but definitely trying to make it up to Fairbanks and Denali National Park. I don't plan on trying to cover the inside passage - too much in one trip. I am limited to 10 days at the most.

Any tips or suggestions would be greatl appreciated!

Firstly, welcome to RoadTrip America! You won't find as much on this site about Alaska as you will about the Lower 48 but there's still a heap of info. Start by reading through the suggestions on this recent thread and then do a search for keywords such as Alaska and Anchorage. You might also like to have a read of my blog from my visit last summer.

Look forward to hearing how your planning goes!

Quote Originally Posted by UKCraig View Post
    Firstly, welcome to RoadTrip America! You won't find as much on this site about Alaska as you will about the Lower 48 but there's still a heap of info. Start by reading through the suggestions on this recent thread and then do a search for keywords such as Alaska and Anchorage. You might also like to have a read of my blog from my visit last summer.

Look forward to hearing how your planning goes!
    Thank you for the warm welcome!! I have been reading through some of the threads and have gotten some great ideas. I like hopping in my jeep and going so there are some suggestions out there that I will definitely follow-up with it!

Enjoy Denali NP, but don't overlook Denali SP.

Camped there for a couple of nights in 2004. Go see the bears feasting on the blueberries at the back of the lake, and the salmon where the little bridges cross over the inlets to the lake. A lovely small quiet park.

And the wildlife and whale watching and glacier tours from Seward... a neat little town.

Lifey can't wait to get back there this June

10 days is plenty of time to see denali and the Anch area. Anchorage is a great town in many ways but it depends on what you want to do as to whether it is a good base. There is great museum about Alaska Native people and a ton of hiking. Denali is approx. 6 hours from Anch. so you can make it there easily and have time to wander, especially with the long days. A great drive on the way to denali is the Denali Highway. It is confusing but the denali highway doesn't go into Denali NP, instead it travels eastwards. Hatcher Pass State Park is good day trip if you staying in Anch. What do you want to see in Fairbanks? I'm not sure there is that much there, but that depends on what you want to see.

While in Anchorage definitely drive down the seward highway at least as far as portage glacier. On a good day, like this weekend, that drive is as beautiful as any place in the world. You have time to go to Seward, which is a great town for a visit and 3 hours from Anch. There are many wildlife cruises and Exit Glacier is a fun visit.

What are you interested in seeing/doing while here?

greg