Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Default Lax to New York in 4 weeks on fun...

Hi,

There are 3 of us trying to plan a roadtrip from LAX to New york in 4 weeks this summer. We could really do with some help please.

I have managed to plan out the start and finish. but am not sure which is the best was to go in the middle.

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?f=d&so...,74.970703&z=4

We'll start in LA and do the route north then south down to las Vegas. In the end we will drop the car off in Washington and get the grey hound to phili, and then onto New York. However, I'm really not sure which way to go in the middle as we have roughly 3 weeks for the middle section. Please feel free to move the map around as any suggestions or much appreciated.

Also, i have bought a big atlas of north america, but which would you suggest to be the best book to carry along the way as we go. Is there any way of finding out if there are any cool festivals (food) along the way as we go?

thanks for your help, this forum is amazing!

Default One Possible Route

Welcome aboard the RoadTrip America Forums!

Given what you've already got planned, it seems you need to get from Salt Lake City to Washington and would enjoy a bit of scenery. So here's one suggestion from the practically unlimited number of possibilities. Take US-40 out of SLC and do some old fashioned driving (non-Interstate) through the Rockies, visiting Dinosaur National Monument in Vernal, UT and Rocky Mountain National Park northwest of Denver. The you would hook back up with I-80 along the Platte River in Nebraska. This follows the route of the old Oregon Trail so be sure to poke around some of the historic towns and landmarks along the way. Take I-29 down to Kansas City and I-70 to St. Louis, two towns with plenty to see and do. I-64, US-231 and a few connecting roads will bring you to Bowling Green, KY and Mammoth Cave national Park. Taking I-65 from there down to Nashville will put you in position to take I-40 to Knoxville, and then US-441 through Great Smoky Mountains National Park. On the eastern side of the Appalachians I-81 and I-66 will take you up to Washington.

I personally like the large format Rand McNally road atlases and regularly do two things to find activities as I travel: stop in state and local information centers and ask what's going on, and visit local libraries and surf the web.

AZBuck

3. Default car hire help???

hi,

I am planning a road trip with 2 of my friends (3 guys all under 25) from lax to JFK between june and july.

I have looked around everywhere for reasonable car rental but the prices seem WAY too expensive and there are alot of hidden surcharges.

Is there anyone who has been in the same situation as I? how much should i be looking to spend altogether for 30days?? does anyone know of any goof companies?

cheers for your help
    Last edited by Midwest Michael; 04-10-2009 at 08:22 AM. Reason: merged with original thread about this trip

Default no getting around it

Sorry to tell you, what you're trying to do is simply expensive. The trip you're hoping to do hits all the major elements that will make a car rental expensive. Being under 25 (but at least 21), means you're going to have to pay an extra surcharge for being an underage driver. That fee is usually at least $20 a day. Wanting to have 3 unrelated people drive means more fees especially since everyone is underage, is going to drive that up even higher. And you want to make this a one way trip, so you're also looking at a drop fee which is usually in the ballpark of $500 or more for a cross country trip like this.

The best way to bring down your costs is going to be to change the fundamentals of your trip. Making it a round trip, planning a shorter trip so only one person has to drive, or modifying it so you might also include other forms of transportation would be some things you might consider. You're going to have to weigh those savings with how much money you have and how important it was to stick with your original plan.

5. Default

what would be a ball park figure of how much it is going to cost?? will it be cheaper to drop it off in washington and greyhound it to newyork??

Default shop around

The are just way way too many variables to give you an accurate price for the particulars of your trip. The estimates I gave for the extra charges you'll be facing are already a pretty rough guess. Start shopping around and see what sorts of quotes you find, that's really the best thing you can do.

Dropping it off in DC might not result in a cheaper rate, but if it means you'll have the car for less time, it probably will mean a smaller bill.

If you do decide to take public transportation from DC to NYC, take the train! The Acela Express takes just under 3 hours.

8. Default

i've also heard it is possible to get a cheap deal of the hire car company happen to need to send a car back??

is that true?

It's possible, but it's not something you can count on, and certainly not something that can be reserved in advance.

Default Driveaway

The problem with your hoping that you could get a deal by finding a car that needed to be sent back is that if you did find a deal like that, you would most likely be expected to get the car back relatively quickly, in say a week, not over the course of 3-4 weeks. Even if you found a deal where they needed a car moved back, I'd bet they would still be hitting you with fees because of your ages.

You could try looking driveaway companies, which operate on the same principal of finding people to drive cars that need to be moved, but again, you'd be expected to drive to your destination in a relatively direct fashion and you wouldn't be given several weeks to complete the trip.