1. Default Summer 09 Road Trip - West

Hi everyone!

hope you're all keeping well. im very glad ive found this forum.

my mates and I are planning for a road trip this summer along the west coast? and some of us are getting married soon so we're plannin to get the most of it.

we really dont know what cities to hit and stay in, but for sure we want to pass through LA, Las Vegas, San Franciso, San Diego,. we will be there for 20-25 days. kindly advise us on where to go, what cities we must visit and stay and what to avoid.

please help!

Green County, Wisconsin

Default personal planning

Welcome to the RTA Forum!

The great thing about a roadtrip is that you can go where you want, when you want. You don't have to follow someone else's preplanned generic one-size-fits-all itinerary. So having said that, you're going to have to figure out for yourself what places are more interesting to you and the places you'd most like to stop. There are hundreds upon hundreds of threads discussing possibilities about traveling through California, I suggest you start by looking at some of them, and get a feel for what it is that you would like to do with your time.

3. Default

thanks Michael !

i agree with your point, but i was thinking to have a general trip and then tweak it a little bit as we want.

im thinking of starting the trip from San Francisco, stop at Bakersfield, to Vegas, then to Flaggstaff via South Rim Grand Canyon, then off to the Monument Valley, quick stop at Tuba City, then to Page, from Page to Vegas, then to Santa Barbara, LA, Monterey, then back to San Fran

what do you think? we will be there for 20-25 days and we dont want to rush it .. we want to spend some time here and there.

please advise , and tell me what to take off, and where to go instead.

South of England.

Default Enough time

With 20 plus days you have plenty of time to get around those places. Although I would consider going from SF to Yosemite and across Death valley on the way to Vegas rather than down to Bakersfield. They both offer amazing landscapes in totally different ways and you wont see the likes of them here in the UK.

If you are going to Page/ Lake Powell you could head for Zion NP and possibly even Bryce canyon and head back to Vegas on I-15 through St George.

Joplin MO

I think I'd take the coast route from SF down to LA and SD, then over to the AZ/UT sights and LV. I'd then do Death Valley, Yosemite, etc. on the way back to SF. Reason being - the coast route is best seen going south because the scenic pulloffs will be on your side of the road.

6. Default

thanks guys for the tips n help, appreciate it.

i now know what to expect .. i still need advise on this:

our final decision is to do some sort of a loop, lets say starting at San Fran, Yosemite, death valley, las vegas, grand canyon, then San Diego (but through which cities??), and from San Diego head up north to san fran.

which cities shall i stop on/ worthwhile? and from grand canyon which cities shall i pass to reach san diego??

South of England.

Default Time for the map.

Well you have SF, Vegas, SD, and possibly LA to contend with already but the best bet is to get the map out and research places that appeal to you and how long you want to spend at each one. With just 3 days in each city, thats half your time taken up, and I would recommend a couple of nights in Yosemite and the Grand canyon plus stops on the PCH, add your journey times and your time will soon be accounted for. Lake Havasu city is one that you could go to on the way to SD but I would start on an itinerery and when you have created an outlined plan we can help to "fine tune" it.

Happy planning !