1. Default Dallas-LA 6 week roadtrip

Hi Guys.

First time poster here and solo traveller looking for some helpful advice.

I'm going to be arriving in Dallas from the UK late July 09 and leaving from LA early September. It'll be my first time in the States since 1993 and I've wanted to roadtrip across the South West USA for many years, only this time I've got enough time off work to do it justice even though I'm on a fairly tight budget.

My plan is to drive/greyhound/amtrak it up from Dallas to Oklahoma then head West towards Amarillo on (what's left of) the old R66 and see where life takes me. I'm hoping to spend the majority of my time in New Mexico, Arizona and Utah before heading over to Vegas just for a couple or so nights and then finding somewhere chilled on the Californian coast for my final week.

The only absolute 'must sees' for me are the Grand Canyon, Monument Valley and Vegas. Everything else is a bonus. So I'm looking for any tips of things to do/places to stay (places to avoid?) and places to meet fellow travellers for company along the way.

As I'm travelling solo, tips on car hire/share, hitch hiking in the area would also be welcome. I've taken 6 weeks out so I can be as flexible and unhurried as possible and I'd welcome any advice on how and where best to spend my time.

Thanks in advance...

Quote Originally Posted by VernUK View Post

The only absolute 'must sees' for me are the Grand Canyon, Monument Valley and Vegas. Everything else is a bonus. So I'm looking for any tips of things to do/places to stay (places to avoid?) and places to meet fellow travellers for company along the way.
    Sounds like a great trip... I would add southern Colorado to that. Places like The Great Sand Dunes, Mesa Verda, Four Corners, etc.

To meet other travellers, you cannot beat staying at hostels, and you will find a good sprinkling of them in the southern States. You will find most of them here.

Not too sure I would risk hitch-hiking, but if you are looking for alternative cheap transport, you might like to check out my post in this thread.

Lifey

Default You'll find many more !

Hi Vern, welcome to the R.T.A forums.

The only absolute 'must sees' for me are the Grand Canyon, Monument Valley and Vegas. Everything else is a bonus.
    Your in for a big bonus !

This is a fantastic area to explore with the most fascinating and diverse scenery you can imagine. To have the time you have available and the freedom of travelling solo gives you so many options and I would suggest searching the forums and road trip planning pages where you will find tons of info.
    If you are into natural wonders the National parks website offers a great insight into what awaits you. You might even want to venture into Colorado and visit a couple of parks in California such as Death valley, Yosemite and Sequoia and head for San Fran and drive to LA on the PCH [route 1] that follows the coast with awesome scenery.
    In Utah there are many wonderful parks such as Zion, Bryce, Capitol reef and Arches which shouldn't be missed.

I would say having a car for the length of your trip would be the way to go if your budget can stand it. It will save a lot of one way drop off fees if you keep switching and you will not be relying on lady luck [although I can see the appeal]. To balance things out you could think about buying some cheap camping gear to help with the cost of Motels and donate it to a charity when you are done.
    Have a look around and as you have more questions just ask away !

4. Default

Thanks for the replies so far guys. I've already lost myself in this forum for the best part of a day! I'll research some more before asking further questions but in the meantime I'd be interested in a link that would give me a good idea on car rental costs in the States for such a trip.

V

Default That's easy!

The travel search engine run by Yahoo Travel (found on this page, upper left hand corner) is what I use for general booking. Personally, I prefer the level of service I get from National Car Rental so you can look at their site as well.

One of the frequent questions that arises is what kind of insurance you need when renting a car. Here are some tips on that. And here are some options that you have as an international visitor.

Mark