1. Default Can you rent a car in WA/BC and return in AK?

Hello forum. Hopefully one of you will have insight into a potential week-long summer roadtrip.
    Ideally I would fly into Seattle/Vancouver-ish area, rent a car, then drive it to Juneau or Anchorage finding adventure along the way. Has anyone had any luck renting a car in city "X" and droping it off at an Alaskan airport? Or should I expect to be doing a round trip by car?
    Any ideas appreciated.
    Thanks

2. Default probably can't return it in Juneau

It seems there are not a lot of roads (none) leading to Juneau, so I doubt the car rental industry would make this a possible drop point. But the question still remains for anchorage.

Default Try the source.

Hi there,

I am sorry I can't answer the question for you but I would recommend making enquiry's to the rental companies direct and see what they can offer you [if anything].

Good luck !

Default unlikely

I think you'll have a very hard time finding a place that will allow you to drop a vehicle off in Alaska. I know other people have investigated this and haven't had much success. Renting a car anywhere in Canada and dropping it off in the US is also virtually impossible, so finding an agency in BC is extremely unlikely.

You are right that Juneau is not reachable by overland road, the "alaska marine highway" (the ferry) is your only option to reach the city with a car. One thing you might consider doing is driving one direction and then taking the ferry to/from Washington the other way, although having a car on the ferry will make the trip more expensive than if you were just there as a walk on passenger.

It's also unlikely that you will be allowed to drive a rental car on unpaved roads, so that will limit your route from Seattle to Anchorage. You will probably have to stick to the Alcan and forego the Cassiar (it's not 100% paved yet).

Quote Originally Posted by glc View Post
    It's also unlikely that you will be allowed to drive a rental car on unpaved roads, so that will limit your route from Seattle to Anchorage. You will probably have to stick to the Alcan and forego the Cassiar (it's not 100% paved yet).
    That's not quite correct, from my experience in 2004.

On investigation, and reading all the fine print, I found that Budget did not stipulate that in Seattle, but did in Alaska.

I questioned if I could go to Canada, I questioned what restrictions there were (even after having read all the terms) and was assured the only restriction was crossing the Mexican border.

Of the 6400 miles I drove, much was on unpaved road surfaces, including, as glc points out, a fair section of the Cassiar.

I suggest you make your enquiries thorough, and print out and read all the terms and conditions of all the companies you are considering.

Seattle to Anchorage and to Seward is a trip well worth doing, especially if you take the Alcan one way, and maybe a route like the Cassiar the other.

7. Default

Thanks for the tip about the paved roads... this is something I would have never thought about. I will pay close attention to fine print. It looks like I will try to do a round trip and take an extra week. I may just leave from Denver after all, taking the ALCAN up and the Cassair down. I'll still probably be renting, something about having a VW break down in northern BC doesn't seem to be an enjoyable experience, plus, those oil changes aren't cheap either.