Hey there people.
Firstly a big congratulations for this forum. A plethora of information and I have invested many hours into researching our trip.
We bit the bullet a couple of weeks ago and booked airfares to LA from Sydney Australia. It was a 'kids fly free deal' so it was too good to refuse.
Due to this spontaneous decision, we will be on a moderate budget.
We are there for 14 days from late April into May 09. Family consists of two adults (early 40's) and two kids, 10 and 7 years old.
I am one of those folk who need to be mobile and am generally impatient so I think I will hire a car for the duration. (14 days). Besides, transfers from LAX to Anaheim seem to be about 2 days car hire!
Here is our suggested itenary. (By no means set in concrete)
Day 1 Arrive 6.30am. Quick look around LA to Hotel
Day 2 Disneyland and surrounds
Day 3 Disneyland and surrounds
Day 4 Disneyland and surrounds
Day 4 Day tour to San Diego (from anaheim)
Day 5 Drive to Vegas via Barstow outlet stores.
Day 6 Vegas
Day 7 Vegas
Day 8 Vegas
Day 9 Travel to Death Valley O/night stop
Day 10 Travel to Lake Tahoe O/Night stop
Day 11 Travel to San Fran
Day 12 San Fran (Day tour and alcatraz)
Day 13 Travel Big Sur and coast road...closer to LA
Day 14 Hollywood attractions, fly out at 10.30pm
1. Should day 9 and 10 be replaced by an eight hour drive straight to San Fran to guive us more time at another attraction?
2. Are the kids too young to appreciated Death Valley etc, or will it be too boring after being at Disneyland / Vegas.
3. Is 3 days too long at Disneyland and surrounds?
4. Others have suggested a 'clockwise trip' Does this version look ok?
5. Is it a waste of time having a rental car all those days when it may be sitting idle (especially at Disneyland and San Francisco)
Please suggest any alterations to this itenary / trip. Internal flights seem out of the question due to budget.