Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Default Help Im British!

Hi
    WOW what a great site, and some really helpful guys out there, so helpful that I'll forgive you for all the good english tea you wasted at Boston!

If ever anyone needs help planning a road trip in the UK, say from Slough to Winsor, then I'm your man.

Anyway, I know that this has been asked a milllion times before, but I'll ask again.

My wife and I plan to fly into Vegas, 2 nights in Vegas, pick up a convertable for 9 days and finish up in San Francisco. We have been to the grand canyon so don't need to go there. Dont want long driving days, no more than 200miles (5hours driving). Like to see
    Yosemite
    Death Valley
    Zion (if not too much off route)
    Bruce (if not too much off foute)
    We plan to go early October

Advice on the route, where to stay, how long to stay in each place for, and what to see would be really appreciated.

Don't want to rush anything, rather miss out Bruce or Zion than rush around.

Must say that I've been out to the states many times, its the best place in the world. Even served with the US airforce at Nellis AFB for a while. Great country, Great People!!!

Thanks Guys
    We love our colonial cousins back in the UK

Default Relaxed enough.

Hello and welcome to R.T.A.

Yep, it sure is a popular trip, and rightly so.

With 9 days on the road you should be able to cover the things on your wish list with no problems. I would recommend a couple of nights in Zion, 1 in Bryce canyon, 1 in or around death valley and 2 in Yosemite as a reasonable balance. That will leave you 2 or 3 nights to enjoy San Fran.

Although you say you have been to G/C it could be a first night stop and then head through Page to Bryce and Zion rather than heading up I-15 from Vegas to Zion/ Bryce and back down again, and create a nice loop.

If ever anyone needs help planning a road trip in the UK, say from Slough to Winsor, then I'm your man.
    Slough to Windsor ! Lol ! you don't get out much then. ;-)

3. Default

Dave Hi
    Thanks for the reply.
    We actually have 9 days on the road. The vaction is for 15 days, 2 in Vegas, 9 on the road, 4 in SF.
    Can you suugest a route to take it all in?
    Any nice hotels in the Nat Parks to stop?

Ok Slough to Windsor ain't far, how about if I include Maidenhead avoiding junction 5 of the M4?

Default Possible's.

Hey Marvin,

Can you suggest a route to take it all in?
    Personally I would do a loop from/to Vegas and take in the GC [again].

Vegas over the Dam to I-40/64 to South rim and spend a night in Williams or the canyon.
    Leave by the East entrance on the 64 [Desert view drive] and head to Page and Lake Powell for a night[89]. Page to Bryce canyon on 89 and 12, where Ruby's Inn is very popular for lodging, eating.
    Head to Springdale, a great little town on the doorstep of Zion by heading back down the 89 and onto the Mount carmel highway [9]. It's a very scenic drive. I would favor a couple of nights here. I would then head down I-15 and into Death valley which has a fascinating landscape. Furnace Creek is a popular resort to stop at. To get there from Springdale is closer to 300 miles and around 6 hours. From Furnace creek you can cross DV on the 190 and head North on the 395 to Lee vining which is the gateway to the Tioga pass [120] into Yosemite. This should leave you a night in Yosemite and a drive of less than 200 miles to SF.

That's just my opinion and if you didn't want to clock up so many miles then you could just head from Vegas to Zion and Bryce up I-15 and come back the same way before heading into D/V.

Ok Slough to Windsor ain't far, how about if I include Maidenhead avoiding junction 5 of the M4?
    Now you are just showing off ;-) Lol!

Default North Rim

Hi Marvin,

If you have already been to the GC, why not go LV, Zion, make a small detour to the North Rim, and then backtrack to take the road to Bryce.

For me the North Rim is preferable everytime. No where near as crowded, and every bit as spectacular as the South... and in many places, much more so.

Kanab is a neat little place to stay.

I'd like to add this - if you spend a night in Page, do not stay at the Super 8. It's overpriced and not maintained well.

7. Default

Thanks for the tips guys.
    Can anyone recommend a good guide book and good maps for my trip.

Tip of the day.
    Junction 4 of the M4 always bad this time of day. Avoid the London Orbital and travel through Sipson!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Marvin View Post
    Thanks for the tips guys.

Marvin, are you a member of your local automobile association? If so, take your membership with you, and you will be able to get free maps (and tourism info) from the AAA anywhere in North America.

The best map for that area I think - if I remember correctly - is called 'Indian Country'. It focuses on all the parks and attractions in northern Arizona and New Mexico and southern Utah and Colorado. An excellent map.

9. Default

Hey thanks again chaps (thats english for guys).

Whats the weather like in San Francisco and Yosemite late september early october?

Tip 2. M6 around Birmingham can be awfull, bite the bullet, pay the £5 and take the M6 toll!!!!!

Default Warm days, chilly nights.

Hey Marvin,

You can browse on line at places like Amazon which you can find in our road trip planning pages or look in the travel section of your local bookstore, WH Smith etc. who can order most things.

Whats the weather like in San Francisco and Yosemite late september early october?
    Well, just like in blighty it could be just about anything. SF can go from a warm sunny day into a chilly,damp misty one in moments [and back again just as quick] as it rolls in off the ocean. Generally, expect warm daytime temps and cool nights,possibly getting near freezing in Yosemite. It's my favorite time of year to travel, the colours are great and the crowds are starting to leave and it can be a dry, bright time of year. [I'm trying not to give it the kiss of death here !] ;-)
    Packing layered type clothing is the best way to go with a couple of warm tops. To give you an example when we went in mid-late Oct, it was blue skys all the way [apart from SF] and in Death valley we saw temps around the 100 [38c] and a night time temp on the high ground of Bryce canyon at 13f [-10c] although that was quite exceptional.