Default car rental stress - young persons

Hey !

Just a quick question really, I'm flying into Seattle Tacoma on the 1st April and leaving on the 2nd May from LAX... found a great deal for renting a car (as i'm 22 the prices were so high... and extra $25 a day sur-charge, with one way drop off) but I managed to find a great young persons deal with Budget which cost £1000 rental in total.

I was really happy with the price (as it's going to be split between four people anyway) only I called up to book just now and they said i needed a credit card for them to swipe at Seattle for security reasons, which i understand... only I've never had a credit card. The people i am travelling with do but they can't accept their cards as it has to be the driver... now I'm in a big mess as we definitely need to drive the trip rather than use coach/rail... but i can't book the deal because i don't have a credit card in my name... but i don't think I'll find a better deal and that was our limit really, we are all quite stressed about about this now and didn't understand why they can't just swipe my friends card.

Does anyone have any advice on how I can get out of this mess? If i applied for a card it might not be cleared in time for when I leave in 3 weeks... but if anyone knows of any other places we can rent a car, with a fair price? any help would be much appriciated... we have wanted to drive across the west coast for a long time.

Thankyou.

Default Your bank.

Hi,

I think it's standard practice to want a credit card to swipe before you head of with their motor as it's a form of ID and payment protection against any accident damage fees that might be applicable.

I think you would be better of talking to your bank manager and seeing if they can issue you one within that time. If no other travel companions are driving then I can't see another way around it other than checking other renters policies.

Good luck.

[I am not sure but it might be worth looking into... If your parents have credit cards and were willing they might be able to get you one via there account with it's own credit limit for your use.].

Thanks for your advice.

I phoned my bank eariler and will just keep my fingers crossed that they agree to giving me a card, you are right... there is no other way around it.

If all else fails we will use the train around Oregon and rent once we get into CA, but keeping fingers crossed for the credit card coming through!

Default Fingers crossed for you !

Quote Originally Posted by cherry_darling View Post
    Thanks for your advice.

I phoned my bank eariler and will just keep my fingers crossed that they agree to giving me a card, you are right... there is no other way around it.
    but keeping fingers crossed for the credit card coming through!
    I would of thought you would get a decision pretty quickly once they have done there checks and although they are much stricter on handing credit out since the "crunch" you should be OK if your ratings OK.

If all else fails we will use the train around Oregon and rent once we get into CA,
    I am not sure but without a C/C you might have the same trouble renting in CA.

Very true about the crunch, i'm sure my credit ratings are ok... I just hope they think so too! It would be such a shame not to drive, as we all prepared/excited now.

Same about the CA thing too, I guess I really will have to keep my fingers crossed.

Quote Originally Posted by cherry_darling View Post
    Thanks for your advice.

Did you enquire about getting a Visa Debit card? Much easier to get, and is accepted everywhere a CC is essential?

I didn't even think of that! The guy I spoke to on the phone kept repeating CC and i asked him if he could accept my card but he said no....so then I phoned Budget direct and she asked if i had a Visa Debit card so maybe there is a way... I will look into that now, thanks so much.

Default result!

Originally posted by Southwest Dave] I would of thought you would get a decision pretty quickly once they have done there checks and although they are much stricter on handing credit out since the "crunch" you should be OK if your ratings OK.
    Just heard I am all good for a credit card! Thanks for keeping fingers crossed, I am now stress-free and excited for my first roadtrip.
    Last edited by Southwest Dave; 03-11-2009 at 08:28 AM. Reason: Fixed quote format

Default Great news !

Wow, that must be a great weight of your shoulders !

Onwards and upwards.

We would be pleased if you were to drop back in and let us know how your trip went and share it with us.

Dave.

We definitely will!
    Have opted for a motorhome now so all set to book, I'll be on here
    looking at RV threads now haha.
    Thanks again for your help!