Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Default Summer roadtrip - San Diego to San Francisco

Hello! I was hoping for any form of help/feedback/direction, I am 22 years old from Liverpool, England, and, along with a friend of the same age hope to travel to America this summer. As it will be a first for both of us we want to get as much in as possible, I was hoping to go for about six weeks, flying in to San Diego, renting a camper van and travelling from San Diego to LA, LA to Las Vegas, Vegas to San Fran and back to San Diego.
    Can anybody offer me some information on this route? As well as places to stay, things to see and what to do?! We are both young lads, so as well as seeing national parks, touristy stuff (Hollywood, Golden Gate Bridge etc.) Anywhere with good nightlife, beaches and beautiful women is a must!!!
    Any feedback or any useful links would be greatly appreciated
    Kind regards, Jed

Default Lots of info.

Hello and welcome to the R.T.A. forums.

The Southwest is a popular destination point and you will find many threads on here covering the area. This link shows some of our favorites.

It is very diverse and should provide what you are looking for, from the NP'S of Grand canyon and Yosemite to the desert landscapes of Death valley and the bright lights of Vegas and of course the Pacific coast highway.

Whereas a camper van [RV] is a good way to see the Natural wonders they are not as versatile in the city's and with just two of you will not be "budget friendly" and would cost more than a car and Motels. If you wanted to camp you could buy a tent and basic equipment cheaply enough there and mix your time between camping and Motels or even use hostels.

Have a look around the forums and see what appeals to you and get yourself an outline itenerary going and then we can help piece it together with you.

Any vehicle rental is going to be costly due to your under 25 ages. If I were you, I would not even try to pilot a RV around a city on the right side of the road when you are only experienced on the other side. I would stick with hotels, hostels, and tent camping. You can buy basic camping gear when you get here without spending a small fortune, and donate it or something when you are ready to leave.

Have you thought about doing this trip anti-clockwise? That way you will be on the coastal side of the road when driving from SF to LA. It is a magnificent drive, and you don't want to be crossing on-coming traffic to turn into the many view points.

There are many great hostels in LA. My favourite is here, right in the heart of Hollywood. It has great deals on trips to the major Hollywood attractions.

Default No need

Quote Originally Posted by jedcubbo View Post
    San Diego to LA, LA to Las Vegas, Vegas to San Fran and back to San Diego.

originally posted by Lifemagician Have you thought about doing this trip anti-clockwise? That way you will be on the coastal side of the road when driving from SF to LA.
    Hi Lifey, as you can see they are already planning to head from San Fran down the coast to SD as they are.

[just to save any confusion] ;-)

6. Default

Thankyou all for your speedy and helpful responses.
    If I was to go by car and not RV, how does this sound:
    Fly to San Diego, and visiting and hopefully staying around Mission beach/pacific beach and Balboa park;
    Then travelling onto Los Angeles, maybe staying in Solana Beach for 1 night;
    In Los Angeles, visiting and staying in Malibu, Long Beach and Hollywood;
    Then to Las Vegas, stopping enroute in the Mojave National Preserve;
    Arriving at Las vegas, staying there for several nights, before travelling to San Francisco via Death Valley and Yosemite, before returning to San Diego stopping at the most enjoyable places we found on the way up, (maybe Palm Springs as well)
    Any feedback? Also, are there any car rental companies most suited to our specific needs (i.e. ages, time needed etc.?) and is there a website that maps details of all hostels and other forms of potential accomodation in CA/NV? Thank you all once again for your great help,
    Kind Regards, Jed

Default 6 weeks still ?

Hi,

With the 6 weeks you will have plenty of time to enjoy yourselves and the routes to Vegas and SF are very popular choices and offer amazing and diverse scenery. Heading back down the coast I would stick to the Pacific coast highway and enjoy time travelling Big Sur etc from Carmel to Morro bay.
    Another overnight stop that's worth the extra miles is the Grand canyon, it would be a shame to be so close to one of the world's greatest wonders without popping in.

As for car rental, I think it's just a case of researching and seeing what best suits you, but one thing that is pretty standard is the surcharges for drivers under 25.

And don't forget to search the road trip planning pages [green tool bar at top of page] as well as the forums for ideas. You will find things such as Day trips from Vegas.

Quote Originally Posted by jedcubbo View Post
    ..... is there a website that maps details of all hostels and other forms of potential accomodation in CA/NV? Thank you all once again for your great help,
    Kind Regards, Jed
    No one website has all hostels listed, but here you will probably find most.

9. Default

Thank you all for your fantastic help.
    Here is our updated plan -
    Fly to San Diego, arriving on the 30th July. Staying in US for a month, returning from San Diego on 30th July)
    Book a small car for the length of our stay.

Stay in hostels in San diego for 5 nights before travelling to LA

Stay in LA for 5 nights before travelling direct to Las Vegas

Stay in Las Vegas for 2 nights before travelling to the Grand Canyon, stay around the grand Canyon for 1 nights (Any ideas for accomodation?)

From the grand Canyon, travel to San Francisco staying for a night at both Yosemite and Death Valley.

Stay in San Fran for 5 days before driving down the coast back to San Diego staying in a few (undecided) places on the way!
    allowing 4 days travel back to SD from SF should leave us about 5 nights to play with, so times/days staying in places are stilol very flexible!
    Can anybody offer me some feedback on this plan? It would be greatly appreciated!
    We have budgeted about £800 each for flights, £600 each for car rental, 320 a night accomodation (x 30 = £600)

leaving money for food, drink, petrol and everything else a bit of a mystery! Any help please!!

Jed

Great place to stay in LA..... right here!!

Close to many attractions, great tours and a wonderful atmosphere.