Default Los Angeles>Albuquerque>Omaha>Minneapolis-Wisconsin & Back

Hi Everyone,

We are looking to do a road trip from Los Angeles to Wisconsin and back. On the way there it is only going to be me and my 2 1/2 year old. On the way back it will be me, the 2 1/2 year old our 7 1/2 year old and our 10 year old and my husband. I have a two part question. The first part is on the way there I am stopping just outside Denver and then I am going on to Omaha Nebraska. I think it is too far to do in one day. Does anyone know of a nice and safe town to stop along the way in the middle of Nebraska?
    The second part is...Does anyone have any must see sights on the way from Wisconsin to Las Vegas? For instance, should we stop in Wisconsin Dells or skip it? Should we stop in Grand Junction Colorado, or skip that too? What are some, not to miss spots? We are doing Mt. Rushmore for sure.
    Any help or advice is certainly appreciated!!!!

Green County, Wisconsin

Default remaining questions

Welcome to the RTA Forum!

I've got a few questions about your plans.

First of all, Denver to Omaha is a completely reasonable drive for one day, however, I'm concerned about the day before that. Traveling from Vegas to Denver would really be too much for one day. Actually, you also mention that you would be starting from LA, and if that's the case, Denver would really be too much. From Vegas, stops around Grand Junction and Kearney would probably make more sense.

Coming back, any of the places you've mentioned would be worth considering. What is your reason for picking any of those places? If you're going out to the Black Hills, you could also consider going out to Yellowstone.

Default Follow-ups

Hi midwest michael,
    thank you so much for responding to my post. I have the first day figured out. I am driving la to mesquite, nevada. It will take about 6 hours, which is manageable. From there, i am driving to grand junction, co, which is another 6 hours. Then i am driving to denver, another 4 hours (apprx.). Then from there i was driving to omaha, but it will take more than 8 hours driving time. With the 2 1/2 year old in the car, that is way too much, especially if i don't have another driver to help me. If my mom comes, we could do it, but 8 hours is too much for me in one day. Looking at the map i was thinking kearney. So if you think that it's a good town, that's where i'll stop. Any hotel suggestions?
    On the way back, we are not going to stop in yellowstone. We did that last year, and it was wonderful!!! I would stop there if we didn't have any time constraints, we loved it sooo much!! This year i want to do moab, utah and eastern wyoming and any thing else you could suggest. I just love road tripping and i love planning! Especially when people like you take the time to help me! Thanks a million!!!

Joplin MO

Kearney is a good stop. There are numerous chain hotels right off I-80 all the way from budget ($50) to premium ($100) class. I see Motel 6, Super 8, Rodeway, Microtel, Days, Wingate, Hampton, Ramada, Holiday, Best Western, and more.

Default Denver to Moab Please Help... need a nice break in between

Hi Everyone,

I am having trouble planning my trip. This is probably because I am trying to stuff in so much in such little time. I wanted to stop during my 5000 mile road trip and rest for a couple of days and somebody suggested Estes Park to me, and I originally wanted to go, but it is out of the way and I am having trouble fitting it in to my itinerary.
    Can you help me by suggesting a city on the direct route in between Denver and Moab that we can stop for two days and relax. We want mountains, greenery, lakes and preferably a stream, and to perhaps stay in a cabin in the midst of all of this! Maybe it's too much to ask, but I would love to do this if it exists. I really appreciate all the wonderful advice I get on this site!!!
    Last edited by Mark Sedenquist; 06-22-2009 at 11:17 PM. Reason: I merged into this thread -- I think this is the same trip???

Las Vegas, Nevada

Default Why?

Quote Originally Posted by sagtravelgal View Post
    Can you help me by suggesting a city on the direct route in between Denver and Moab that we can stop for two days and relax.
    It's a day trip from Denver to Moab --so I don't really understand why you need a two day break. But if you do, Grand Junction is a nice little town and the Colorado Monument is just outside of town with lakes, greenery, etc. Cabins -- I don't know about.

South of England.

Default Estes park?

I think posting your updated itinerary might help to get the answers you are looking for.
    If this part of your trip is Moab> [2 days break somewhere] > Denver> Kearney, and if Denver is only a stopover point [I noticed you said in an earlier post "stopping somewhere near Denver"] and not a "must do" I can't see why Estes park is a problem, if that's where you like the look of. You could go Moab> Glenwood springs or Grand Lake [or anywhere in between] > Estes park [2 days] > Kearney. I can't think of a nicer way to relax than a gentle drive and walks in Rocky NP.

Default Same trip, but totally different

I've been working on this trip so long that it is totally different than the other posts. Originally I needed someplace to stop on the way out to Wisconsin, but now I've figured out the entire way out. The way out is now with my 2 3/4 year old daughter, my mom, and my friend, so we have three competent drivers. So now I don't need to stop in Kearney, because between the three of us we can drive from Colorado Springs to Omaha in one day, with each of us driving roughly 200 miles each. Our trip out is as follows...
    Los Angeles-Palm Desert-Sedona-Albuquerque-Santa Fe-Colorado Springs-Omaha-Minneapolis-Eagle River, Wisconsin- All of this in a comfortable 11 days.

The return trip...We pick up my husband in Minneapolis (my friend leaves from there) and then we pick up our two older kids (7 1/2 and 10 1/2) from summer camp in Wisconsin and then it goes as follows...
    Eagle River, Wi-Minneapolis (3 nights), MN-Rapid City(3 nights), SD-Scottsbluff(1 night), NB-Denver(3 nights), CO-<need help with a nice peaceful stop in a mountain cabin, don't know where(2 nights)>-Moab, UT(2 nights)-<Truthfully, I could use more suggestions here too(2 nights)>Los Angeles, CA.

We have 16 days to complete the return trip. Our older kids complained last year, because we stayed one night and then continued, they want to stay at locations more than one night.
    Any suggestions you might have are certainly appreciated.
    Much Thanks,

Tucson, AZ

Default Spending Time in All the Right Places

I think the older kids are going to have to give a little. There will be places where you'll only want to spend one night, to just use the pool, get a good rest, and hit the road the next morning. On the other hand, there are places, such as Rapid City, where you can easily spend several days. Within easy day trip radius of there are Badlands National Park, the Crazy Horse Memorial, Devils Tower National Monument, Jewel and Wind Caves, Wall Drug, and several scenic drives connecting them all. The other area where you could spend some time would be around Flagstaff, AZ. I don't see this in your plans but if you leave Arches National Park (Moab) and head south on US-191 and then take US-163 through Monument Valley and US-160/US-89 down to Flag, you could use that as a base of operations to see the Grand Canyon, Oak Creek Canyon (including Slide Rock State Park) Walnut Canyon National Monument, the Lowell Observatory, Petrified Forest National Park, and the old mining town of Jerome before making the final day's drive to Los Angeles. So I'd take one night from Denver, and those two 'extra' nights you're currently trying to fill in Moab and use them in Rapid City and Flagstaff. That would give you 3 or 4 places where you stay for multiple nights because there are plenty of things to do.