Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Default Charleston to Boston - how to avoid NYC area?

Hi there-

I'm down in Charleston for a week and need to travel back to Boston on Sunday and Monday. I blindly followed my GPS on the way down and found myself stuck on the Cross-Bronx Expressway for an hour with my 2 year old daughter . I'd really like to avoid NYC altogether on the way back. Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance,
    Calila

Default One option

One way would be to go from the Garden State Parkway to I-287 East, then you can go on the Merritt Parkway to I-91 East to I-84 East in Hartford, CT, then I-90 East from Sturbridge, MA.

This will keep you out of the whole NE corridor and will give you some nice scenery:

I-26 to Columbia
    I-77 to Wytheville
    I-81 to Scranton
    I-84 to Mass Pike (I-90)

Default That'd be my route

The route glc suggests is what I'd take. I abhor urban congestion in general and the entire Richmond, VA to NYC segments of the I-95 corridor.

I-81 in does admittedly bear heavy truck traffic, but it's still preferable, for me, to I-95.

The stretch of I-81 from Harrisburg to Scranton is particularly pretty as it passes through the heart of the Poconos.

Foy

I despise I-95 between Richmond and Portsmouth, NH. I'll do just about anything to avoid it anywhere in that area. It's probably the most heavily traveled Interstate in the country.

Default "The Trail"

Roger that glc. "Back in the Day" (early-to mid 1970s when CB radios became popular), the truckers used to call I-95 from Richmond on up "The Ho Chi Minh Trail".

And it's just gotten worse and worse since then. I'd just as soon take a beating with a hammer than drive it.

Foy

Keeping the above in mind... could one of you knowledgable in this area give me an alternative to drive from my son's to my daughter's....

Newton (Boston) MA <-> Mahwah (Ramsey) NJ.

Both there, and back.

It is not my favourite drive, but the one I unfortunately do most. Thanks in advance.

Default Love to help you, but......

Quote Originally Posted by Lifemagician View Post
    Keeping the above in mind... could one of you knowledgable in this area give me an alternative to drive from my son's to my daughter's....

Newton (Boston) MA <-> Mahwah (Ramsey) NJ.

Both there, and back.

It is not my favourite drive, but the one I unfortunately do most. Thanks in advance.
    My distaste for driving up there has kept me away since 1989. The closest I came recently was driving to Kingston, NY from here in NC back in May 2007. Our travel schedule would have had us passing through northern New Jersey enroute for I-87 (NY Thruway) during a weekday rush hour, so I avoided all of DC-Baltimore and the remainder of "The Trail" by swing NW below DC and taking US 17/15 to Harrisburg, PA, thence I-81 to Scranton, thence I-84 to Newburgh, NY. I figured is was about 75 miles farther, approx 1 hour at traveling speed, and I likely saved at least that hour by avoiding NYC/NJ.

I haven't a clue how to navigate the area nowadays.

Foy

Quote Originally Posted by Foy View Post
    My distaste for driving up there has kept me away since 1989.

I haven't a clue how to navigate the area nowadays.

Foy
    Awww! Foy. That is such a great help. :)

From Boston to Mahwah:

Take the Mass Pike (I-90) to Sturbridge. Take I-84 to Hartford, but get off on CT-15 and take the Charter Oak bridge. Cross the bridge, then take I-91 to Meriden, rejoin CT-15 (Wilbur Cross Pkwy). Take that and the Merritt Pkwy to I-287 (Cross Westchester Expy) and take that across the Tappan Zee Bridge. This will put you on the NY Thruway, at Suffern get off the Thruway and stay on 287, you will be there, I assume the NJ-17 exit will be what you want.

To return, take the NY Thruway (I-87) north to Newburgh and take I-84 to and through Hartford, retrace your steps from there.

This will minimize your tolls and keep you off I-95. The Tappan Zee does not collect tolls going west but they nail you hard going east.

If you can borrow a EZ-Pass, this will help you with your tolls that you do have.