1. Default 2 Belgians from New York to Florida

Hi,

My best friend and me (both from Belgium) would like to make a road trip in the US in June. The idea is to discover the "real" USA. Would the journey from NY to Tampa be able to do this?

Thx
    Robin

Default Is there a "fake" USA?

Welcome to the RTA Forum!

I never really know what people expect when they expect to find the "real" america. What I can tell you is that a roadtrip is a great way to get out an see what is actually out there. No matter where you go, you'll be able to see and maybe even get a feel for the places that you visit, but in a country this large, you could travel for years and not see all of it. Get out there and enjoy what you can, its all real.

3. Default

not the US that we (here in Western Europe) see on TV (read: movies, soap operas, etc.)

just like when you go to Paris it's not all little bars and narrow streets :)

Quote Originally Posted by Midwest Michael View Post
    Welcome to the RTA Forum!

I never really know what people expect when they expect to find the "real" america. What I can tell you is that a roadtrip is a great way to get out an see what is actually out there. No matter where you go, you'll be able to see and maybe even get a feel for the places that you visit, but in a country this large, you could travel for years and not see all of it. Get out there and enjoy what you can, its all real.

Quote Originally Posted by Robin Joncheere View Post
    not the US that we (here in Western Europe) see on TV (read: movies, soap operas, etc.)
    I know exactly what you mean. Before I ever set foot on the North American continent, I had a CNN view of America... and once you get to know it, it ain't at all like that.

All I can suggest, and what I have done, is drive the smaller roads, go have a coffee in a town along the way, and chat to the cafe owner... or anyone else in there. Same for lunch. When you go into chain restaurants, or larger department stores, you do not get the same chance to chat with the locals.

There are also welcome centres in most towns, large and small, and they will tell you lots about the place. Go visit a park and chat to some of the locals. I always make a point of asking if I may join someone at their table, and many people are only too happy to share their little corner of the country with a traveller.

Go out there, and meet the locals... then you will see the 'real' America. And the trip you are planning could also take you to and through places which tell the history of the United States.

Enjoy!!

5. Default

America is very large and diverse. What you see in the north will be different than the south or the west or the midwest, etc. Going from NY to Florida is just a small taste of the whole country. If you stay on the thruway you will not see much of anything except chain stores and restaurants, which is not the "real" America you are looking for. Get off the thruway at times and drive through the small towns. Eat at local diners and small restaurants. Stop at State and National parks, do some camping, etc. Check out the roadfood.com site and the state sites for each state you plan to drive through. Each state will have a tourism site with ideas for what is the best to see.

The Great Midwest, Illinois to be precise

Default Doing the Coastal Thing

Great places to see sticking as close as you can to the coast. Especially get out to the Cape Hatteras/Outer Banks and take the ferries.

In North Carolina, stop and get some pit-cooked pork bbq, cole slaw, hushpuppies, and sweet tea.

At the NC/SC border, there is a great fishing village called Calabash with outstanding sea food. Try anything called Calabash-style.

Lots of history as well.