1. Default Storrs, CT to Los Angeles

It's a 2916 mile trip (Google Maps)... is five days enough? I'll be driving alone in a 2009 Yukon Denali (gas is gonna kill me lol).

Also, is I80 or I40 more scenic?

Thanks

Bob,

I am sure others will be along with more specific responses to your questions, all I wanted to say is....

I am right now in the middle of a 1000 mile round trip. Having done this many times before, had my plan down to a T....

Until I struck some 200+ miles of roadworks, with speeds down to as slow as 25 mph.

Leave yourself a bit of lee-way.

3. Default

please, take I-80 (or 70) towards Denver, switch to the I-70, and then take the 15. I-40 is dreadful and the hotels are NOTICEABLY worse.

I think five days is enough (although others on this board repeatedly disagree with me, even though I've done it once in 5 days and once in 4 and am planning a third trip). Gas will be fine and even if you're getting 15mpg I bet you spend less than $550.
    Last edited by AZBuck; 03-08-2009 at 08:06 AM. Reason: Good Neighbor Policy

Default welcome

Welcome to the RTA Forum!

5 days is a reasonable goal for this length of trip. You'll need to be on the road for about 10 hours a day, which is about the most we recommend for a multi-day trip, but its still a very obtainable goal.

I don't think you really can go wrong with any of the routes, but I-80, cutting down to I-70 in Colorado would be my personal choice for scenery. I-40 is pretty nice though too, and much of it follows old route 66. I will disagree with Hoya in that you can find hotels without problems on either route, and since much of I-40 follows old 66, there are still some classic mom/pop places where you could stay that are easy to get to from I-40.

5. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Midwest Michael View Post
    I-40 is pretty nice though too, and much of it follows old route 66. I will disagree with Hoya in that you can find hotels without problems on either route,
    Well, it m ight have been my own bad luck. This past summer though I took I-40 since I'd already done 80 and 3 of 4 nights spent on the road were truly miserable even though I was staying in well-reviewed comfort inn hotels. Again, may have been my dumb luck, but that was my experience.

On the up-side, hotels along 40 are less expensive.

Hoya, your fixation on Comfort Inn is blinding you to other hotels. I don't see where I-40 hotels are any worse than any others. In fact, one of the best bargains I have ever stayed at is the Motel 6 in Holbrook, AZ on I-40. AARP rate was 40 bucks *including* tax and it was clean as a whistle, it even had free wifi. Room key got me a 10% discount at Denny's next door (and as Denny's goes, it was a decent one). Bottom line, with *ANY* chain of hotels, there are good ones and there are bad ones.

My recommendation from Storrs to LA is this.

I-84 to Scranton, I-81 to I-80 to cross PA. At Youngstown, I-76 to I-71 to Columbus. I-70 to I-15 to LA. 2970 miles, you avoid a LOT of tolls that way, and it's very scenic west of Denver.

Overnight stops in or near:

Akron
    STL
    Denver
    Richfield UT

7. Default

Quote Originally Posted by glc View Post
    Hoya, your fixation on Comfort Inn is blinding you to other hotels.
    I'm not at all blind. But people on a budget aren't looking for Hiltons, Marriots, etc. Comfort Inns, Fairfields, etc. are all good bets for hotels that are nice and comfotable while still affordable. I'm not a Motel 6 traveller so I can't give advice there.

Default perspective

funny, when I think of budget hotels, I certainly don't think of Hiltons or Marriotts, but I don't really think of Comfort Inns and Fairfields either. Both of those chains distinctly fall in the mid-priced category of motel chains and usually will run $60-80 a night. That's not to say you can't find good value or good deals at those places, but they are typically going to be more expensive than a Motel 6, Super 8, or Days Inn. Even in the "Choice" chain, Comfort Inns are in a more expensive tier than Econolodge or Rodeway Inns.

I think the bigger point, however, is that there are several hundred motels located along I-40, and judging the entire route based on your experience at 3 motels within one chain just doesn't provide enough of a sample to offer any real perspective.

Amenities don't excite me when I'm simply looking for a place to get a good night's sleep. Motel 6 and Super 8 are plenty good enough for my tastes. I do get a bit upset when I stay in a bad Super 8 when I have to pay $50 plus for a room.

Days Inn is not a budget hotel. That's midpriced. Days Inn and Super 8 are both Wyndham properties. Fairfield is a Marriott property.