1. Default TX to CA, help plz!

Hello!
    I'm about to embark on a roadtrip from San Antonio, TX to San Diego, CA. I've never really been on a long roadtrip like this before and I'm just lookin for some tips. I'm going with one other guy. My questions are:

We don't want to spend money staying in motels/hotels, so where can we sleep on the way? We have a friend we're stayin with there.

Has anyone been from Texas to Cali and willing to share some cool places to see along the way?
    Last edited by weezerguy187; 03-08-2009 at 12:20 AM.

Default Time.

Hello and welcome to the R.T.A forums.

Well if you don't want to spend money on Motels then that leaves you with Hostels, camping or pulling up at a truck stop and kipping in the car, but that's not the way to get a good nights sleep.

As for things to do along the way, well there are plenty of options but what are your interests and how long have you got for the trip? Is it a one way trip or return trip ?

You would be looking at 2 1/2 days travel each way at a comfy pace with short stops. If you have more time then you have Carlsbad caverns, White sands NP, Big Bend NP, Coronado National forest and Saguaro NP all in easy reach. What about the Grand canyon as a side trip ?

Default Straight Shot

Welcome aboard the RoadTrip America Forums!

San Antonio to San Diego is just a straight shot on I-10. Since you'll be heading west you'll gain an hour with the time zone change and it would be feasible to make the drive in just two moderately hard days of driving. That would preclude making any stops along the way, but would offer the cheapest drive possible. As for places to sleep cheap, try either a state park or a commercial truck stop. Your halfway point would be roughly Deming, NM with camping nearby at Rockhound State Park.

AZBuck

You should be able to find a hotel in Deming in the $50 range. That's a 1300 mile drive, you will have to do 650 miles a day to make it in 2 days. One advantage is I-10 in West Texas has a 80 mph day speed limit.

A word of caution - not accusing you of anything, but the Border Patrol checkpoint on I-8 west of Yuma is now using drug sniffing dogs on every vehicle. Those damn dogs even hit on cigarettes. This caused me a delay and embarrassment on my last trip across, I had nothing illegal but the dogs sure smelled something and all I smoke is cigarettes. I was thoroughly searched, including body.

5. Default

Thanks for your replies! We don't want to spend money on hotels, but we'll probably need to. Think we'll be hitting Carlsbad and Grand Canyon on the way back. Also, is there a Border Patrol Checkpoint anywhere on I-10 to Cali?

Quote Originally Posted by weezerguy187 View Post
    We don't want to spend money on hotels, but we'll probably need to.
    You'll have more money to spend on hotels, if you don't burn it all on fuel. There is a significant saving to be had by keeping speed to an economical 60 - 64mph.

Slowing down won't kill you

I am not aware of any checkpoints on I-10, but to get to San Diego, that will take you considerably out of your way.