Default Hi, new and need ideas for westward roadtrip (Michigan through Indiana)

Hello everyone. I just found this site and registered. Seems to be a great resource. I am a huge car nut and have a highly modified 06 Lincoln Zephyr. It just came out of warranty so im not trying to preserve miles anymore. Here is the story...

So me and a lady friend are thinking about taking a road trip in my Lincoln. She is in Business School in Notre Dame so I have to drive through Indiana to pick her up and take her home. I live in Detroit MI. I dont want to come back east after I get her so I was thinking Mt. Rushmore or something? I really want to go see the grand canyon but thats pretty far. Im not sure if we would have that much time. I want to have enough time to enjoy where ever we visit and not just be on the road. And if I can avoid it, I want to take a different route there and back. Also have to factor in Hotel Time. last but not least, I must have some great driving roads along the way as we both enjoy those greatly and my car is set up for them. Any ideas or suggestions where we should go or what we should check out? If someone wants to plan the entire trip, im not against that either. lol
    Last edited by AZBuck; 03-07-2009 at 09:08 PM. Reason: Caps (shouting) removed

South Might Make More Sense
    Welcome aboard the RoadTrip America Forums!

For my money, I think that a drive down the Great River Road would be more to the point. You could go as far south as you have time for, through St. Louis, Ste. Genevieve, Memphis, Vicksburg, even New Orleans if you have time, and then turn around wherever you need to and come back north on the Natchez Trace Parkway to Nashville and then up through Kentucky by Mammoth Cave before finally heading up through Indiana on US-231 to South Bend again.

AZBuck

That route looks very inticing.

Any idea how much money one should take on a long weekend trip like this? Maybe I should try the search function. lol

Default That's Different

If all you've got is a long weekend, you really shouldn't be contemplating anything beyond Memphis, if that. Otherwise, all you're going to be doing is driving. So have a look at things to do in St. Louis, Memphis, and Nashville, and make a loop that explores a few sights in each of those cities and some back roads in between. For something that is semi-ronmantic rather than penny-pinching (B&Bs rather than Motel 6; nice restaurants rahter than McD's) I'd guesstimate around $200/day, maybe a bit less.

AZBuck