1. Default Denver to Las Vegas

Hi. I am planning to come over from England for a two week trip in June driving from Denver to Las Vegas. We're keen to see something of the Rockies, Mesa Verde, Monument Valley, Lake Powell and the Grand Canyon but am very interested in other places to visit. We also have no particular knowledge of the recommended routes and are just beginning our research.

Any suggestions welcomed!

Thanks
    Titus

Default lots of options

Welcome to the RTA Forum!

There are really tons of choices here, with about a dozen national parks on more or less a direct route between denver and vegas. If this is a round trip, I could see a loop where you visit places like Mesa Verde, Monument Valley, and the Grand Canyon one direction, while visiting places closer to the interstate, like bryce, arches, or Rocky Mountain on your way back.

Having said that, no one is going to know your interests more than yourself, so I'd start really just by doing some more research on what things you'd most like to see. Then when you have a better idea of what you want to do, we'll be in a better position to help you narrow your options and put everything together.

3. Default

Thanks for your response. The following is the draft itinerary:
    Denver (one night)
    Mesa Verde (two nights)
    Grand Junction (1)
    Moab (2)
    Zion (1)
    Bryce (1)
    Lake Powell (2)
    Monument Valley (1)
    Grand Canyon (2)
    Las Vegas (1)

Does that make sense? Having read some of the posts on this site I am wondering whether we could spend a little more time in the Rockies - perhaps via somewhere such as Aspen?

Thanks for any thoughts.

Titus

4. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Titus View Post
    Grand Junction (1)
    Not sure what your budget is, but I'd like to suggest the Doubletree in Grand junction. it's very pretty and priced right. Almost all their rooms are "mountain view" with large glass walls/windows. I really enjoyed it

Default Rocky time.

Hi,

Does that make sense? Having read some of the posts on this site I am wondering whether we could spend a little more time in the Rockies - perhaps via somewhere such as Aspen?
    Mmm, not really. Other than the drive through from Denver I can't see where you are spending any "time" in the Rockies. I would personally only spend one night at Mesa Verde and head towards Grand Junction first but maybe stop overnight before hand. This would free up some time in which to enjoy Colorado. You could either head for Estes park and drive the Trial ridge road in Rocky NP past Grand Lake to the Northwest of Denver or head out on I-70 and head through Leadville, Twin lakes and to Aspen as you suggested.

To fit your route in is quite tricky on a one way trip without some doubling back, but from Grand junction you could go to Mesa verde via the 50/550 "Million dollar highway" through Silverton and Durango which also takes you past the Black canyon of the Gunnison.

6. Default

The route has now been amended and is now proposed to be:

Denver -> Gunnison -> Durango/Mesa Verde -> Monument Valley -> Lake Powell -> Gd Canyon -> Bryce -> Zion -> Vegas

A couple of nights in most places, not too much driving between locations and sufficient time to explore locally.

More sensible? Gunnison is there for the mountains but it could be anywhere really in that area - any suggestions?

Default North or South rim ?

Hi,

It'll certainly be a great drive to remember, wonderful and diverse scenery throughout.

Denver -> Gunnison -> Durango/Mesa Verde -> Monument Valley -> Lake Powell -> Gd Canyon -> Bryce -> Zion -> Vegas
    Depending on whether it's the South or North rim of GC you are referring to. If it's the North rim you are headed for [good views,less facilities and less visitors] you are in good shape. If you want the South rim I would go there after MV and then up through Page and Lake Powell.

Default reverse direction, save some $

I am in the process of planning the same trip.
    Last night I discovered that if you reverse the direction, Vegas to Denver, you will save %30 per week on the cost of a one way car rental.

Alamo: $720/wk premium car Den - LV
    Alamo: $450/wk premium car LV - Den.

Default Wow, good info.

Quote Originally Posted by teh_agent View Post
    I am in the process of planning the same trip.
    Last night I discovered that if you reverse the direction, Vegas to Denver, you will save %30 per week on the cost of a one way car rental.

Alamo: $720/wk premium car Den - LV
    Alamo: $450/wk premium car LV - Den.
    Hello and welcome to the R.T.A forums, we hope you enjoy them, and thanks for dropping in with the info, that's a big difference.

Dave.