1. Default Victoria, BC to Disneyland with 3 Kids!

Hi, just hoping to get some feedback from others who have maybe done this trip (or something similar). My husband and I did the coastal thing all the way down to Disneyland (before children) and it was beautiful. After Disneyland we just drove straight home (pretty much - I think we stayed in Redding, CA and drove straight through from there). My question is should we just start driving and not tell kids (ages 8, 5 & 2) where were going and go the scenic route - I'd really like them to see Cannon Beach, Redwood Forest, San Fransisco before getting to Disneyland (planning on going to San Diego as well) and then booting it home on the I-5 or doing it in reverse - driving like a bat out of hell down there and then taking a leisurely drive home? Any thoughts at all will help. The furthest we've driven with kids is about 7 hrs in one day so I'm a little anxious about driving this distance. Thanks for your input!

Default Share it with them.

Hello and welcome to R.T.A.

Unless you want to hear "are we there yet" every five minutes [lol !] I would involve the kids with what you are planning and get them excited about the adventure and the Giant trees etc, etc. Let them have there ideas and it will be a great adventure!

By heading down the coast you will have the ocean on your side of the road and will be able to get a better advantage of those splendid views. I wouldn't recommend driving "like a bat out of hell" to anyone and especially not with the young ones, but if you have enough time try and make the journey home an adventure as well making short stops along the way rather than having tired and miserable young 'uns in the car, it could have a detrimental effect on the trip. It's certainly doable in two very long days but I would take a minimum of 3 and find things to do along the way

3. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Southwest Dave View Post
    I would involve the kids with what you are planning and get them excited about the adventure and the Giant trees etc, etc. Let them have there ideas and it will be a great adventure!
    QFT.

I really think that (al)most all of the fun in a road trip is the excitement and suspense. Let them get into it... their excitment and anticipation is important and I am willing to bet they'd remember for a long time.

Give the 8 y/o a gameboy or something and s/he'll be happy. Good luck with the 2y/o :)