I am planning a road trip for the entire month of July and into August. We will leave Chicago and plan on at least visiting South Dakota, California (LA, San Diego, Fresno, San Francisco), Arizona, New Mexico, and Colorado. We will spend about 5 days in Fresno visiting family, 3 days in LA visiting friends, and as much time as needed to enjoy the other places (we will be visiting people in most of these places). There will be only one adult on this trip and therefore only one driver. Here are my questions................
1. Would we also be able to go to Seattle and Portland for a few days or would that not give us enough time to enjoy the other places?
2. What sites should we see? We plan on a day or two at Disneyland and the San Diego Zoo. Besides that we are planning on sticking to outdoor/nature related places (although I would love to hear additional suggestions).
Planned so far.......Mount Rushmore, Grant Canyon.
Everything else is open!
3. We plan on spending about 13 nights at friends/families house, about 13 nights camping, and about 10 nights staying at hotels.
What should I budget for sleeping arrangements?
4. I am a single mom and will be traveling with one child. Safe camping locations suggestions would be great!
5. I have never done this. Do I book campsites in advance? If so, when?