Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Default Monstrous Road Trip advice please

well hi guys! my friends and I are planning a road trip from san diego all the way down to acapulco! we have 6 in our party with us :)

any advice on what to look out for? what roads to take? what to bring? should we bring an airgun or toygun just incase for protection? thank you in advance! i really appreciate it!

and one more thing, where can we get gps or routes to reach acapulco!
    Last edited by AZBuck; 03-06-2009 at 03:33 PM. Reason: Map (and comment) removed

Default Welcome!

Welcome to the RoadTrip America Forum!

Quote Originally Posted by noob View Post
    well hi guys! my friends and I are planning a road trip from san diego all the way down to acapulco! we have 6 in our party with us :)

any advice on what to look out for? what roads to take? what to bring? should we bring an airgun or toygun just incase for protection? thank you in advance! i really appreciate it!
    I would never recommend bringing a firearm on a road trip, and toy guns, etc. are even worse since they wouldn't offer you any real protection and could be mistaken for the real thing with disastrous results.

How much time do you have for this trip?

3. Default

It is scheduled for May 22nd :)

Default Time.

Quote Originally Posted by noob View Post
    It is scheduled for May 22nd :)
    But how long will you be on the road for ?

I agree with Tim, a gun [especially a toy one] is more likely to get you shot then none at all.

Sorry, I can't help the routing.

5. Default

you're driving to mexico? IMO, that's really stupid, especially now.
    And you're asking about bringing "weapons" across an international border?

Read the news !

Quote Originally Posted by Mass Tim View Post
    I would never recommend bringing a firearm on a road trip
    this is really immaterial to the question from the OP, but:

you really would suggest that someone with a valid conceal-carry permit that has multi-state reciprocity not carry? That seams really short-sighted given the potential for problems in strange or unsafe places/hotels/camp sites/etc. I'd like to hear your reasoning.

Again, obviously, what the OP is suggesting is just beyond the pale.
    Last edited by Southwest Dave; 03-07-2009 at 04:03 AM. Reason: merged posts. keep it nice please.

Default the need

One of the big problems with carrying a gun on a roadtrip is that even if you have a valid permit in one state, the laws are not such that you can assume your permit would be valid in another. There are some states which simply don't allow concealed weapons under any circumstances.

I own guns and think they can be a useful form of protection, in the right circumstances, but I've never once felt the need, under any circumstances to carry one on a roadtrip. All of the "unfamiliar" things on a roadtrip that you've described as a reason to carry a gun are also reasons why if you were carrying a gun, you could very easily misread a situation, and not be actually be facing serious problems until you showed a gun. I also tend to think that having a gun can lead to overconfidence and getting into situations that would otherwise be avoided or defused, which is even more true when you are in an unfamiliar environment.

Getting back to the original topic, I am in complete agreement that carrying a toy gun might be one of the worst ideas I've heard in a long time, and when you add it to the already violent situation in mexico, trying something like that could very easily become a deadly error in judgement.

Default Also Before You Go

There are other problems and concerns associated with a RoadTrip deep into Mexico that you will need to research and be familiar with before you go, especially if you have never driven in Mexico before. First of all, think about the end of your journey. Each of you will need to be able to satisfy U.S. customs and immigration upon your return to let you back into the U.S. This is no longer the simple "Yes, I'm an American." that it used to be. Currently, at the very least each of you will need to show positive proof that you are who you say you are. This can be as simple as a government issued photo ID. Your driver's license should suffice. AND each and every one of you will need to show PROOF that you are a U.S. citizen. Your driver's license will not suffice for this and you will need, for example, your original birth certificates or certified copies with an embossed state seal, or your naturalization papers. Better yet, serve both purposes with passports. If you don't already have some workable combination of those documents, it is probably already too late to get them together for a trip this spring.

Secondly, you will need insurance for your car(s). Are you planning on taking 6 in a car for that long a trip? Your current policy will not be recognized in Mexico which requires that you have insurance issued by a Mexican company. Such policies can be arranged through AAA and perhaps your current carrier, or failing that you can purchase such insurance at many storefront operations near the border.

Thirdly, the car title and registration. You must be able to prove that you are the owner of the car you are driving into Mexico.

Fourth, you will need to post a bond to guarantee that you will return the car to the United States.

I would start right now to get in touch with the nearest Mexican Consulate or at least go on-line to review all the requirements for driving as deep into Mexico for as long as you plan to. This is NOT just a simple matter of pulling up to the border and driving across after a minimal inspection. Speaking of which, it is absolutely illegal to try to take a gun into Mexico, and the idea of a toy gun for 'protection' is, as others have pointed out, ludicrous.

AZBuck
    Last edited by AZBuck; 03-08-2009 at 10:34 AM. Reason: Typos

8. Default Isn't there a travel warning?

Doesn't the Dept. of Homeland Security have a travel warning for Americans in Mexico right now due to the fact that their government is about to collapse?

Might want to see what they have to say just so you can know what to expect.

Default No, but Yes

The Department of Homeland Security would not be issuing warnings for travel abroad, nor is the Mexican government in any danger of collapse. However, the Department of State has issued a Travel Alert for people contemplating going to Mexico. While this is primarily a warning concerning drug cartel violence in border towns, it applies more generally throughout the country.

AZBuck

10. Default Yes

Right AZ, what I saw on NBC News was Janet Napolitano, the Secretary of the Department of Homeland Security being interviewed about Mexico's issues and how they affect our border security and she referred to the State Department warning that you also mentioned.

I am corrected.