Thread: First road-trip

1. Default First road-trip

I went on a few road trips as a kid and have fantastic memories. I feel road trips are a must on the to-do list of life. So, this summer I plan to take my family on our first ever road trip.
    Originally, I had planned to just go from Los Angeles to Washington, but now I think from Washington I'd like to head east as far as Chicago, stopping in Yellowstone and MN along the way, and then head back to LA stopping in MO, CO and NV on the way.
    I have many concerns/questions. First, I am wondering if this is too ambitious. Second, I have no idea how much time to allot for a trip of this size or even how to start planning for it. I also want to be sure to be well prepared and know about safety concerns especially because I am a single mom of three kids, who will be traveling with me. I want our trip to be fun and educational and affordable. This trip is the beginning of my own personal relocation exploration as well. Any tips?

Default Starting blocks

Welcome to the RTA Forum!

A few things I would keep in mind when you're planning your trip, especially with kids. The size of the roadtrip isn't what makes it fun or memorable, and while getting to see lots of things is fun, trying to do too much in too little time isn't fun for anyone.

The difference in size of the trips you're looking at is pretty major. A trip to Seattle and back is about 2500 miles. You'd be looking at needing at least a week, but probably more like 10 days to complete the drive and have a few days to sightsee and look around. Adding Chicago to your trip balloons your miles to well over 5,000, and you'd need 10 days of driving hard every day just to cover the miles. Realistically, you'd be looking at about 3 weeks to do the trip and have time to have fun too.

From there, you need to figure out how much time and money you reasonably have for this trip and what your priorities are. Take a look around this site, both at the forum and the planning sections, and get a feel for how you want to continue with your planning.

3. Default

Quote Originally Posted by caro View Post
    I also want to be sure to be well prepared and know about safety concerns especially because I am a single mom of three kids, who will be traveling with me. I want our trip to be fun and educational and affordable. This trip is the beginning of my own personal relocation exploration as well. Any tips?
    I'd say rule #1 is safety. As the sole driver, you won't be able to cover as many miles as other people might.

Rule #2 is make sure the kids have fun. If they enjoy it, they'll clamber for more. If it's all dull stuff, they'll never want to do this again.