1. Default Death Valley to Yosemite

Hey!
    I'm Nina from Germany and me and my family are about to go on our westcoast trip (California, Arizona, Nevada... the usual stuff). My problem is that I have no real idea of how to get from our location in Death Valley National Park (Furnace Creek Ranch) to Yosemite National Park (View Lodge). I've heard that nearly all roads through Yosemite are still closed until May (we'll be there in the beginning of April). I'm a bit panicking right now... and I really don't know which way to drive as we only have one day to get from DV to Yosemite. Is there anybody who could make any suggestion? I would be very grateful!
    And another question, does anyone of you have a good suggestion concerning a "nice" way from Grand Canyon National Park to Death Valley? I've not decided on one yet...
    Please, help me!

Kind regards,

Nina

Default not all, just one

Welcome to the RTA Forum!

Its not true that nearly all roads in to Yosemite are closed in April, just one is. The problem is that the one road into the park that is closed (Tioga Pass) would be the direct route from Death Valley. In april, that means you'll have to drive around the South end of the Sierras, via Bakersfield, and then approach the park from the Central Valley. Its a long drive, but it can be done in a day.

The most direct route from the Grand Canyon to Death Valley takes you right back through Las Vegas. If you've got some extra time, you could instead travel all the way back to California on I-40 and then go north through the Mojave National Preserve .

The direct route over the Hoover Dam is subject to huge delays - you might consider the "truck bypass" - AZ-68 to Laughlin NV, NV-163 to US-95, then US-95 to Las Vegas (or to Searchlight, then NV-164 over to I-15 if you don't need to go through LV). Then you can get off at Baker and take CA-127 up to DV.

4. Default

Thanks for your advice!
    I have a map right in front of me... Would you suggest to take the 190 from Furnace Creek Ranche and then the 176 down to Ridgecrest and on to Mojave (395) or would it be easier and faster (and maybe more scenic) to take the 395 from Lone Pine (as highways are usually faster, I suppose)?
    I guess we should drive via Bakersfield and through Fresno, and then take the 41 into Yosemite Park... How long will it take us to get there? I'm not sure but I think the whole way is about 800 km (~470 miles or so), is that right? So, could we make it in 8-9 hours or is this just impossible?
    Also thank you for the direction from GC to LV! :) I know I should have planned some things differently but we only have these two weeks and want to see as many things as possible! I hope we won't get problems driving to Yosemite.
    Thanks a lot! :)

Default 395 yes, Lone pine No.

Hi,

I have a map right in front of me... Would you suggest to take the 190 from Furnace Creek Ranche and then the 176 down to Ridgecrest and on to Mojave (395) or would it be easier and faster (and maybe more scenic) to take the 395 from Lone Pine (as highways are usually faster, I suppose)?
    I guess we should drive via Bakersfield and through Fresno, and then take the 41 into Yosemite Park... How long will it take us to get there?
    Yes, take the 190 across D/V and then it will be quicker to take the 395 but don't head to Lone pine. The road splits and 190 goes to Olancha and the 395, which is keeping you on track. Lone pine is further North on the 136 to 395.
    The rest is correct Bakersfield to Fresno on 99 and 41 to Yosemite.

Expect this to take around 10 hours with a bit of time to enjoy the Drive across Death valley and some short breaks.

I hope we won't get problems driving to Yosemite.
    Relax, I am sure you will be fine. The snow is mostly a problem on the high ground this time of year and the valley will be OK. It will be well worth it as the waterfalls will be flowing from the snow melt and it will be spectacular !

If you have any other questions regarding your trip just ask.

Have a great trip, you will love it !

6. Default Grand Canyon to Death Valley

Thanks for letting me ask other questions... ;) Here is one:
    My internet told me that the quickest way from Grand Canyon to Furnace Creek, Death Valley, would be the 93 via Hoover Damm, Henderson, then road 160 to Pahrump, then a little and seemingly unnamed road to Death Valley Junction and then onwards to Furnace Creek... I'm not sure if this little road is even suitable for cars... Do you have any idea?
    The other suggested way would take about 2 hours longer... Do you have any good suggestion (as the internet gives me loads...)?

Thanks a lot! :)

Nina

Default It's fine.

The road in question is the Ash Meadows/State line road which is fine. It is known as the locals route.

It is a smooth 2 lane road with (I think) a 55 mph speed limit. It's the same quality as the numbered rural highways.

Note that there may be a considerable delay to cross the Hoover Dam due to security and construction. Please refer to my previous post.

9. Default

Thanks for your answers!
    Yes, we've decided not to cross over the Hoover Damm but drive via Searchlight. Instead we chose to drive over the Damm on our way to the Grand Canyon as my dad is really interested in damms... Anyway, thank you very much.
    Another question concerning the time (I'm not sure about how long all these ways might take us): How long will it take us to get from Las Vegas to Squire Inn Grand Canyon? I thought ~ 5 hours, maybe more because of the Damm...
    And what about the way from Grand Canyon to Death Valley (Furnace Creek). It is quite a long distance, isn't it? Do you have any idea?

Thanks for all your answers! You are really helping me with all the planning!

LV to GC via the dam, Kingman, and Williams is about 5 hours plus dam delays.

GC to Furnace Creek via Searchlight is about 10 hours - approximately the same whether you go through Baker or back through LV.