1. Default Denver to Telluride

Hi, we're flying from midwest to Denver and thinking of a road trip from Denver to ski in Telluride for about one day where one of my friend insists.

We are looking for interesting spots to stop along the way. I don't have many idea since this is my 2nd time in CO. (well, the last time I only wandered around loveland, summit county and vails).

We probably take I70 then US50 back pass Colorado Springs to make a circle.( is it a good idea ?? )

Default Some of Colorado's Best

The loop drive you've described will take you through some of Colorado's best scenery, but you're going to need a full day each way. At well over 300 miles each way, and on roads such as US-550 (the Million Dollar Highway) and US-50 through the Black Canyon of the Gunnison, you're not going to be getting as far as you might be used to. On the other hand, you won't need to worry about finding stuff to see along the way.

AZBuck
    Last edited by Midwest Michael; 03-04-2009 at 07:18 AM. Reason: fixed link format

Default A million bucks

Hi romerun,

Absent severe conditions at the Eisenhower Tunnel, Vail Pass, or elsewhere along I-70 (including escaping the clutches of Denver traffic), the trip out to Grand Junction can go pretty quickly. I always suggest people consider stopping at Glenwood Hot Springs, right on I-70, for a wintertime soak in the huge outdoor hot pools.

And on the return trip from Telluride, I agree with inclusion of an excursion on the Million Dollar Highway is a bit out of the way if your intended return route is US 50. Still, one could include that spectacular Million Dollar Highway segment down to Durango, thence east on US 160 to complete a somewhat larger circle.

Foy

4. Default

Thanks you for the info.

A bit of the trip is in the first day we drove to the Utah Arches, had a stop at Glenwood Spring which is really worth it. Then skied one day in Telluride before headed back on US50 to ski another day in Loveland. We also tried to get on top of the Rocky NP, but the road was closed.

Default How was the soak at the hot spring?

Quote Originally Posted by romerun View Post
    Thanks you for the info.

A bit of the trip is in the first day we drove to the Utah Arches, had a stop at Glenwood Spring which is really worth it. Then skied one day in Telluride before headed back on US50 to ski another day in Loveland. We also tried to get on top of the Rocky NP, but the road was closed.
    Very well, then, so you liked Glenwood Springs. I assume you are confirming you took a soak at the hot springs. It's now been 9 years since I did so, and I am anxious to return.

Glad you enjoyed the suggestions.

Foy

6. Default I would call it American Onsen.

we did. One thing that I was impressed besides soaking in outdoor hot water in the cold day is the fog floating above the water around me, I wish I had a camera in there.

Default Not that far out of the way

There are two hotsprings within reasonably close proximity to Telluride that I like better. The first is Strawberry Canyon (nearest to Steamboat Springs) -- elegant, remote (in the winter) and darn fine.

And the closer one is Mt. Princeton -- a good day trip from Telluride. Much more rustic -- but equally fine and inviting.

Mark