1. Default Road Trip 3.0 (please suggest 1-2 scenic/fun stops!)

Trying to avoid spending too much. There is a $100/night double tree there and these are the comfort inn hotels:
    link

Would like to be able to spend $65-$100. It doesn't have to be a resort since it's just 1 night passing through, but it does have to be safe. would like your opinions. thanks!
    Last edited by Midwest Michael; 03-03-2009 at 11:52 AM. Reason: Merged - Please don't create multiple threads about the same trip

2. Default Road Trip 3.0 (please suggest 1-2 scenic/fun stops!)

Third cross-country trip. Decided to go north this time (for the second time).
    Google Maps of the Route

We'll have at least two drivers and are very comfortable with the distances and time spent driving, and it'll be the third time at the same pace.

We do have some extra time though. Probably 1 - 2 days. If you could insert only 1-2 more stops, for the sake of doing or seeing something fun, where would they be? I think we're open to some detours as long as it isn't going to cause outrageous doubling back.

Thanks!

PS- The stop in Iowa is to visit a friend and the stop in Ohio is a halfway point. After Iowa everything except final destination is pretty much up in the air.
    Last edited by Midwest Michael; 03-03-2009 at 11:54 AM. Reason: Good Neighbor Rule Violations

Default Scenic Stops on the Western Portion

The easy recommendations for scenic stops are the national parks on or near I-70 through the Mountains: Rocky Mountain, Arches, Bryce Canyon, Zion and the Mojave National Preserve. But don't ignore the subtler charms and landmarks along the old Oregon Trail as you follow the Platte River through western Nebraska.

You've already done the research to find motels available in the Columbus area. No one can make your final choice for you but you. And despite your claims to the opposite, I would be amazed if you were able to drive 900 miles on the third day of this trip.

AZBuck

4. Default

Quote Originally Posted by AZBuck View Post
    The easy recommendations for scenic stops are the national parks on or near I-70 through the Mountains: Rocky Mountain, Arches, Bryce Canyon, Zion and the Mojave National Preserve. But don't ignore the subtler charms and landmarks along the old Oregon Trail as you follow the Platte River through western Nebraska.
    Thanks! I think we'll stop at Kelso Depot and then rejoin a main highway without having to backtrack at all. How far away from there are the dunes?

Is there somewhere worth stopping in Nebraska? Apparently the Platte River Crossing is somewhere close to the route, but I wasn't able to find too much.

I would be amazed if you were able to drive 900 miles on the third day of this trip.
    I've done that on my own before... this time I'll have another driver. I think leaving at 7am or 8am it's easily doable especially with the second driver. Of course, if there's something worth seeing between Iowa and Denver I don't really mind the extra day (i am looking for another good stop), but I don't think there's much worth stopping for the night there.

5. Default Any sights along this route? (DC-Chicago-Denver-LA)

Google Maps of Route

Finally got our route planned out. The cities are pretty much locked in (visiting friends/hotels/etc) and we don't have too much time. I think we're going to take 5 or 6 days, depending on how long we visit friends.

We'd really appreciate any heads-up to fun distractions along the way... monuments, national parks, etc... things worth checking out.

And if any can suggest a few quick things to see and eat in Chicago that would be great. We're planning on spending a few hours there, but will be staying the night with friends elsewhere instead.

thanks
    Last edited by Midwest Michael; 03-18-2009 at 03:21 PM. Reason: Merged Again - Stop creating new threads about the same trip.