1. Default Ontario to PEI Honeymoon Road Trip

Hello everyone. Im getting married at the end of August, and were thinking about doing a road trip from Ontario to PEI. We're looking to spend a total of 1500 dollars, so I was wondering if anyone could give me any tips or advice on how we can make this happen?

Places to stay (camping or hotels)
    routes to take
    things to see

all would be appriciated

Thank you so much

Tucson, AZ

Default Congratulations

Welcome aboard the RoadTrip America Forums!

Some of the most romantic places in North America lie between Ontario and PEI. Although you'll have to be a bit frugal to make $1,500 last two weeks, it can be done if you eat picnic meals out of a cooler (romantic in its own right) and take your entertainment by walking scenic and historic locations. The main places to take in as you follow the north bank of the St. Lawrence River eastward would be the Thousand Islands region at the head of the river and the cities of Montréal and Québec. At Québec cross over to the south side of the river and follow QB-132 around the Gaspé Peninsula if time permits before heading for PEI. By all means take the ferry at least one way to get to/from the island and just enjoy the 'cruise'. Another possible addition, again if time permits, would be to head out to the northeast tip of Nova Scotia and drive the Cabot Trail.

Québec, Montreal, Arizona, California, France

Default Cheap places to stay

Places I can recommend where I've stayed or where people I know stayed:

Ivy Lea Provincial Park in the Thousand Islands Region is great but beware of mosquitoes!

In Montreal : University of Montreal residences in CDN (~35$), Youth Hostel on McKay St. in the downtown area or Auberge St-André in the Village.

In the Quebec City : Laval University residences, bed & breakfasts in the suburbs (ex. : Stoneham).

East of Quebec City : Chez Choinière bed & breakfast (~45$) in St-Simon, Auberge St-André (~50$) in St-André de Kamouraska, B&B du Verger (~65$) in Notre-Dame du Portage, Hotel Mont Joli (~60$) in Mont-Joli, Parc de la Gaspésie campground, Parc Forillon campground (very windy),

NS : Porter House bed & breakfast in Antigonish (~50$)

Note : in Eastern Canada, bed & breakfast establishment seems to be a lot cheaper and cleaner than most motels you'll find along the way. The best way to find them is to grab a copy of the Provinces' official tourist guides at any rest area. Most bed & breakfasts and campgrounds are listed with rates, phone number, star rating and many other useful infos.

Default Road trip to PEI

Hi Staisha,
    We did the same and visited everything we could for free - walks on the beaches, climbed to the highest point, walked the cobblestones of Charlottetown, bought our groceries, camped (never again) camping is ok, however not in the rain. Lets see, cooked on open fire, and saw all the sights we could. it was great.

You can make this happen. First gas is going to be your biggest expense, gas up before New Brunswick, then on the Island. Each time I have driven to the Island I used Highway 2, Google Maps is excellent for this. Stops along the way or off the betten track a little Quebec City look it up if it isn't your thing roll on, Grand Falls New Brunswick, other places Cabot Trail in NS, and Hopewell Rocks NB -

Places to stay....Hotels can be more expensive, the cost of camping is getting high as well but might be the best way and also check out on Google B&B PEI and have a look at bed and breakfasts, for extended stays you can pay less and your breakfast is included, sometimes you have a fridge to use and can make and take your lunch each day.

On the Island.....The Ferry is fantastic however costs more than the bridge to use.
    For places to stay....Check out the PEI Tourism Website and use the search box and compare camping to B&B and hotels.
    Things to a Google search for "best interesting things to do in PEI" you can also do a lighthouse tour
    Where to eat...All over PEI, on a budget, Sam's Ch'town the portions are so large my son says you can buy one and split it (lol), Amanda's and By the Bay in North Rustico for a few.
    Free stuff....Walking on the beach depending on the Park you choose as some you have to pay to get onto.
    Cheap and Frugal in PEI....Walking the Confederation Trail, Visiting lighthouses, beaches and scenic drives, picnic lunches, and romantic spots.

I hope this helps,
    PEI on a budget
    Last edited by Midwest Michael; 03-12-2010 at 06:57 AM. Reason: fixed broken link

Green County, Wisconsin

Default welcome

Welcome to the RTA Forum!

This trip was posted a year ago, so there's a good chance its already been done, but hopefully others will be able to use the advice you provided!

Thank you MM,
    The Province of Prince Edward Island is beautiful, I hope my advice can help others on their trip to PEI. ;-)
    I'll stick around for a bit, the Island is quiet at this time of year and I'm looking for things to do.