1. Default Road Trip Florida to San Francisco. May 2009

HI,

I was wondering if anyone could give me any advice? We are planning a Road trip from Florida to San Fransisco in May and I am just wondering if anyone has any tips? what to see, what not to see etc etc. We are coming from Manchester in England and we are planning to go to the touristy places but we would also like to see some places that we have never heard of. We have hired a convertible car already and have booked a hotel in Orlando, the MGM in Vegas and a log cabin in Pigeon Forge. The rest we are pretty much going to play by ear although we do want to book somewhere nice but reasonable in San Fransisco. Please let me know your thoughts if you have the time.

Thanks

Gor

Sat 2 May ORLANDO - Land, check-in
    Sun 3 May ORLANDO
    Mon 4 May ORLANDO
    Tue 5 May ORLANDO
    Wed 6 May ORLANDO > ATLANTA
    Thu 7 May ATLANTA > PIGEON FORGE (Dollywood)
    Fri 8 May PIGEON FORGE
    Sat 9 May PIGEON FORGE > NASHVILLE
    Sun 10 May NASHVILLE > MEMPHIS
    Mon 11 May MEMPHIS
    Tue 12 May MEMPHIS > DALLAS
    Wed 13 May DALLAS > COLORADO CITY
    Thu 14 May COLORADO CITY > EL PASO
    Fri 15 May EL PASO > PHOENIX or TOMBSTONE
    Sat 16 May PHOENIX or TOMBSTONE > MONUMENT VALLEY
    Sun 17 May MONUMENT VALLEY > LAS VEGAS
    Mon 18 May LAS VEGAS
    Tue 19 May LAS VEGAS
    Wed 20 May LAS VEGAS > LOS ANGELES
    Thu 21 May LOS ANGELES > SAN FRANCISCO
    Fri 22 May SAN FRANCISCO
    Sat 23 May SAN FRANCISCO
    Sun 24 May FLY HOME

Default Not the Shortest

Welcome aboard the RoadTrip America Forums!

You've already added over a thousand miles to the shortest possible route between Orlando and San Francisco, so I'll just try to point out a few possibilities that are already near your line of march which you may not be aware of. While you don't mention them, I'm sure you plan to visit Great Smoky Mountains National Park and the Grand Canyon. On the first leg of your journey from Orlando to Atlanta, you might want to take the time to see the Okefenokee Swamp in southeast Georgia, Then in Memphis besides Graceland visit Mud Island during the day and have a walk down Beale Street in the evening. For an interesting quick stop in western Texas along I-20, try Monahans Sandhills. After Tombstone, be sure to return to I-10 by AZ-82/AZ-90 and explore Kartchner Caverns. Finally, between Los Angeles and San Francisco, take the coastal route, CA-1, up along the Big Sur for some gorgeous views.

AZBuck

3. Default

Thanks for that I will have a look!
    We are not too bothered about it being the shortest route, we had a list of places we wanted to go and built the route around that although there are quite a few thinigs we had to miss out. Maybe we can do them next time!

4. Default Monument valley to vegas

Monument valley to vegas in one day... anyone done this?
    would you do this?

Mod note] [I presume this is the same trip so I have merged your threads together. Please keep all questions here for the same trip, thank you]
    Last edited by Southwest Dave; 04-14-2009 at 07:56 AM. Reason: Merged threads

450 miles - no problem. No time for side trips though, your sightseeing will be out the car windows on the main highways.

6. Default

Quote Originally Posted by glc View Post
    450 miles - no problem. No time for side trips though, your sightseeing will be out the car windows on the main highways.
    Thats no problem! we have a lot to cram in during 3 weeks so a lot of our trip will be like that. If we get up early we should be able to get to vegas by early evening I hope.

Shouldn't be a problem - figure 8 hours plus lunch plus whatever delays there are at the dam. Hopefully, you will already have seen the Grand Canyon?

8. Default

same trip different question!!!???

Default Yep.

Quote Originally Posted by GOR View Post
    same trip different question!!!???
    You got it !

It helps build a picture of your trip and is easier for everyone to follow. It has also moved your original thread back to the top of the forum where you might gain more info on your original question[s]

The merge has given me a MUCH better picture, thank you, Dave!

I would now recommend you take 1 less day in Las Vegas (or somewhere else where you are spending multiple days) and go through the Grand Canyon between MV and LV. Spend a night in or near the park (Cameron,Tusayan).

I also think you should spend 2 days from LA to SF so you can enjoy the coast road (CA-1). The Hearst Castle tour is incredible.

You are biasing your stays too heavily *IN* large cities in my opinion. Not that there isn't a lot of things to see and do in cities, but there is a LOT of sightseeing to be done in the West, especially driving a convertible.