1. Default Mega Cross Country Trip!

Hey all!

I'm planning out a Cross Country trip across America, and was wondering about financing and what-not. I have attached a basic route which I want to follow and Google Maps quoted it to be around 8723 Miles.

I would be starting off in Boston, and then from there;
    New York
    Philadelphia
    Washington DC
    North Carolina
    Orlando
    Miami
    Tampa
    Louisina
    Houston
    San Antonio
    Phoenix
    Grand Canyon
    Las Vegas
    Los Angeles
    San Francisco
    Idaho (Boise)
    Chicago
    Cleveland
    Niagra Falls

And then hopefully, back into Boston.

I estimated this could be done in about 39 days?
    I have been quoted that car hire for a Ford Explorer or similar for 39 days inc. Insurance and GPS will be £2114.29 ($2,965.55)
    And Fuel costs over 8723 miles and average fuel price is $2.5 per Gallon and MPG is roughly 18 MPG, it all comes to $1211.53.

I now need to set myself a target of other things I need to take into consideration, obviously food and hotel/motels are important, but I have no clue as to how much these are, and what I need to budget for them.

Any help would be much appreciated,

Thanks!
    Attached Images Attached Images

2. Default

That trip looks pretty cool. I was just wondering what you are driving that only gets 18 mpg? And I would alot more than 2.5 a gallon just to be safe. If last year was any indication of gas prices for this year I would put aside 3.5 a gallon and if it's cheaper you got some extra spending money.

3. Default

Quote Originally Posted by ZionsWrath View Post
    That trip looks pretty cool. I was just wondering what you are driving that only gets 18 mpg? And I would alot more than 2.5 a gallon just to be safe. If last year was any indication of gas prices for this year I would put aside 3.5 a gallon and if it's cheaper you got some extra spending money.
    I looked at the Ford Explorer, which gets 15 City, 21 Highway, and I thought on an average it would be about 18-19.

Default tools

Welcome to the RTA Forum!

Roadtrip costs really depend on so many variables that it really depends upon how you go about your trip. The kinds of places you choose for motels and for food, etc. There are several threads on this forum about planning a budget, with this being one of the better ones to check out. Also remember that even if your point to point distance is 8700 miles, you'll certainly drive far more than that when you factor in driving around towns, parks, etc. I'd factor at least 25% more miles to account for those things.

Default Hostels

The link to Judy's post, which Michael included above, is one of the best you can use for your planning.... with one exception.

It does not mention hostels. These are no longer called youth hostels. The oldest person I have met at a hostel was 92, and a good percentage at most hostels is over 55.

Hostels, like hotels, vary greatly... from the grotty to the luxurious, and price is no indication. The cheapest I ever paid was $8 for a night in Moab in 2001, (great little hostel) the most I ever paid was $40 in NYC in 2007.

Most hostels offer a choice of private rooms or dormitory accommodation. I always make sure they have lockers, and carry my own padlocks for that purpose. Kitchen facilities vary greatly as well. Some have super efficient full kitchens, others have a toaster, coffee machine and microwave. All have fridges.

Hostels make it possible to cook your own meals from supplies purchased at the local store. A huge saving on eating out.

If it makes you feel more comfortable, ask to be shown the bathroom or kitchen before checking in. These will give you a good guide. I tend to take what comes, in my stride. Make sure you carry your own towels, some places charge extra for these (and sheets).

Most now also have internet and / or wifi, and if it is not free, the charge is usually quite reasonable.

Staying at hostels has allowed me to travel on a budget. During my 6 month trip in 2007, my average accommodation cost was around $29.

To check out further, have a look here. You may also want to get this. No one resource has all listed, and there are many other comprehensive sites on the internet.